some problems

Colin McCabe

May 7, 2012, 7:06:56 PM5/7/12
to cmake-maven-project-users, cow...@bbs.darktech.org
Hi,

When I examined the Maven central repository (search.mvn.org), I found
only these three versions of cmake-maven: 2.8.8-b1, 2.8.7-b4, and 0.3.

It seems like 0.3 only supported Visual Studio, and 2.8.8-b1 and 2.8.7-
b4 require Java 7.

First of all, why are you requiring Java 7? Are you really using the
features of Java 7, or did you just forget to set the version when
compiling the jar? For the project I was considering using this
plugin for, Java 7 is a non-starter. I know that many other projects
have the same constraint. In fact, we even have to support Java 5...
yes, really.

Secondly, why only 3 versions? Are you deleting the old versions from
the central repository? This is a very bad practice. Or did you jump
from version 0.3 to 2.8.7-b4? I am so confused. If you are deleting
the old versions, then I don't see how anyone can realistically hope
to use this. We certainly don't want old versions of our software to
become unbuildable.

It's a shame, but I don't think I will be able to use this plugin
until and unless these issues are resolved. So it's back to doing
everything through ant-build again. I hope that you can fix these
problems in the future and hopefully gain some users.

sincerely,
Colin

cowwoc

May 7, 2012, 8:59:21 PM5/7/12
to Colin McCabe, cmake-maven-project-users
Hi Colin,

Replies below.

On 07/05/2012 7:06 PM, Colin McCabe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I examined the Maven central repository (search.mvn.org), I found
> only these three versions of cmake-maven: 2.8.8-b1, 2.8.7-b4, and 0.3.
>
> It seems like 0.3 only supported Visual Studio, and 2.8.8-b1 and 2.8.7-
> b4 require Java 7.
>
> First of all, why are you requiring Java 7? Are you really using the
> features of Java 7, or did you just forget to set the version when
> compiling the jar? For the project I was considering using this
> plugin for, Java 7 is a non-starter. I know that many other projects
> have the same constraint. In fact, we even have to support Java 5...
> yes, really.

There were some Java7-specific features I've used in the past. I'm
not sure whether this is still the case. Before I investigate further,
please help me understand why your requirements. Please differentiate
between having to use Java5 at build-time versus having to use it at
runtime. You can still use Java5 at runtime. The plugin only forces you
to have Java7 at build in. Is this still a problem? If so, please
explain why.

> Secondly, why only 3 versions? Are you deleting the old versions from
> the central repository? This is a very bad practice. Or did you jump
> from version 0.3 to 2.8.7-b4? I am so confused. If you are deleting
> the old versions, then I don't see how anyone can realistically hope
> to use this. We certainly don't want old versions of our software to
> become unbuildable.

I jumped from version 0.3 to 2.8.7. Prior to version 2.8.7 users
had to install CMake externally. From version 2.8.7 onward the plugin
will actually download cmake on the user's behalf, hence the version
number is now in sync with the cmake version it bundles. Don't worry, I
don't plan on removing old versions.

Gili

Colin McCabe

May 7, 2012, 9:57:52 PM5/7/12
On May 7, 5:59 pm, cowwoc <cow...@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
>      Replies below.
>
> On 07/05/2012 7:06 PM, Colin McCabe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > When I examined the Maven central repository (search.mvn.org), I found
> > only these three versions of cmake-maven: 2.8.8-b1, 2.8.7-b4, and 0.3.
>
> > It seems like 0.3 only supported Visual Studio, and 2.8.8-b1 and 2.8.7-
> > b4 require Java 7.
>
> > First of all, why are you requiring Java 7?  Are you really using the
> > features of Java 7, or did you just forget to set the version when
> > compiling the jar?  For the project I was considering using this
> > plugin for, Java 7 is a non-starter.  I know that many other projects
> > have the same constraint.  In fact, we even have to support Java 5...
> > yes, really.
>
>      There were some Java7-specific features I've used in the past. I'm
> not sure whether this is still the case. Before I investigate further,
> please help me understand why your requirements. Please differentiate
> between having to use Java5 at build-time versus having to use it at
> runtime. You can still use Java5 at runtime. The plugin only forces you
> to have Java7 at build in. Is this still a problem? If so, please
> explain why.

I work on Hadoop. It will be a few years before we will start
requiring Java 7 from all users.

It's disappointing to me, but I don't think we'll be able to use your
plugin as long as it has Java 7 as a dependency.

> > Secondly, why only 3 versions?  Are you deleting the old versions from
> > the central repository?  This is a very bad practice.  Or did you jump
> > from version 0.3 to 2.8.7-b4?  I am so confused.  If you are deleting
> > the old versions, then I don't see how anyone can realistically hope
> > to use this.  We certainly don't want old versions of our software to
> > become unbuildable.
>
>      I jumped from version 0.3 to 2.8.7. Prior to version 2.8.7 users
> had to install CMake externally. From version 2.8.7 onward the plugin
> will actually download cmake on the user's behalf, hence the version
> number is now in sync with the cmake version it bundles. Don't worry, I
> don't plan on removing old versions.

ok.

cheers,
Colin

> Gili

cowwoc

May 7, 2012, 10:01:38 PM5/7/12
to cmake-maven-...@googlegroups.com
On 07/05/2012 9:57 PM, Colin McCabe wrote:
> I work on Hadoop. It will be a few years before we will start
> requiring Java 7 from all users. It's disappointing to me, but I don't
> think we'll be able to use your plugin as long as it has Java 7 as a
> dependency.

Colin,

I never said you'd have to require Java7 from all users. I'm
talking about a build-time dependency, not a runtime dependency. You do
understand the difference right? You build the code under Java7. Your
users run it under Java5. Last I checked you distributed pre-built
binaries, not source-code for users to build themselves.

Gili

Colin McCabe

May 8, 2012, 1:10:57 AM5/8/12
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM, cowwoc <cow...@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 9:57 PM, Colin McCabe wrote:
>>
>> I work on Hadoop. It will be a few years before we will start requiring
>> Java 7 from all users. It's disappointing to me, but I don't think we'll be
>> able to use your plugin as long as it has Java 7 as a dependency.
>
> Colin,
>
>    I never said you'd have to require Java7 from all users. I'm talking
> about a build-time dependency, not a runtime dependency. You do understand
> the difference right? You build the code under Java7. Your users run it
> under Java5.

I realize that you are trying to help, but you are just not being realistic.

We are not going to require all developers to install Java 7, even
when the code they're running has to run under Java 6 or earlier, just
because of one very minor build plugin.

> Last I checked you distributed pre-built binaries, not
> source-code for users to build themselves.

Hadoop is distributed in both pre-built and source code forms.

cheers,
Colin

cowwoc

May 8, 2012, 10:24:23 AM5/8/12
to cmake-maven-...@googlegroups.com
Colin,

Before we proceed any further, have you actually succeeded in
building Hadoop using this plugin? Meaning, have you installed Java7 and
given it a whirl? We might need to iron out some other issues at the
same time as revisiting the JRE version.

Gili

Colin McCabe

May 8, 2012, 1:39:18 PM5/8/12
to cmake-maven-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm kind of busy at the moment. If you ever get it working
with Java 6, let me know and I will try it again. I also noticed you
were depending on Guava, which seems like another unecessary
dependency, at least for what you're doing.

Colin