Reviving The Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum (CCIF)

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 11:10:53 AM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
It's been two years since for a variety factors we decided to stop posting to the Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum. Over that time, a lot has changed within the industry, as well as in my personal life (two kids) and professional life (Enomaly sold). The cloud has gone from a fringe concept to a mainstream phenomenon. A phenomenon that can be seen in almost every part of information technology today.  We've seen open to data center alliances to open server specifications to open stacks, to say the least, the need for "open" has propagated far and wide. But alas, there is still no uniform access for a truly interoperable cloud. A single stack, hardware specification or alliance has yet to result in any global interoperability among cloud services.

Over the past several months, I have been busy in the acquisition of my previous company Enomaly to Virtustream. Now that this has completed I have time to re-engage in some of my previous passions, including the nurturing of cloud interoperability amongst other cloud advocacy activities. I have been approached by many folks in the industry over the last two years to revive CCIF. Like any community, I don't expect all of your to jump back into the fray as I understand we need to rebuild trust in the message and discussion. I believe this discussion must resume. There are currently more than 1300 members within the CCIF mailing list and another 3000 on our linkedin Group. If you are no longer interested in cloud interoperability, please take the this chance to un-subscribe. If you are as passionate about this subject as I am. Then I encourage you to speak up and re-engage in the conversation.

@ruv

Sparkenstein

Mar 12, 2012, 11:20:39 AM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

Good news.. I'm in.

TJL

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 11:25:37 AM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, welcome back.

@ruv

Pablo

Mar 12, 2012, 11:30:16 AM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Ruv

Those are great news. May I would suggest that we re-engage in the
discussion
starting from a review of the current (or last) state of the CCIF from you?

Pablo

> --
>
> -----
> Join our Twitter Group at www.twitter.com/cloudforum
> Or Our Linkedin Group at http://ruv.net/a/1eo

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 11:35:41 AM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
The previous goal and mission are as follows. Maybe we should update it.

The Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum (CCIF) was formed in order to enable a global cloud computing ecosystem whereby organizations are able to seamlessly work together for the purposes for wider industry adoption of cloud computing technology and related services. A key focus will be placed on the creation of a common agreed upon framework / ontology that enables the ability of two or more cloud platforms to exchange information in an unified manor.

Mission

CCIF is an open, vendor neutral, not for profit community of technology advocates, and consumers dedicated to driving the rapid adoption of global cloud computing services. CCIF shall accomplish this by working through the use open forums (physical and virtual) focused on building community consensus, exploring emerging trends, and advocating best practices / reference architectures for the purposes of standardized cloud computing.

Boris Quiroz

Mar 12, 2012, 11:38:17 AM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
You can count with me for this.

Regards.

2012/3/12 ruv <ruv...@gmail.com>:

> --
>
> -----
> Join our Twitter Group at www.twitter.com/cloudforum
> Or Our Linkedin Group at http://ruv.net/a/1eo

--
Boris Quiroz Q.
http://about.me/boris.quiroz

Craig Lee

Mar 12, 2012, 12:45:52 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Ruv, et al.,

Imho, a revitatlized CCIF could help tremendously in NIST's "Priority
Action Plans" (PAPs) to promote cloud standards!

The first volume of NIST's Cloud Computing Technology Roadmap released
last November
(http://www.nist.gov/itl/cloud/upload/SP_500_293_volumeI-2.pdf)
identified ten "High Priority Requirements", such as metrics, security,
SLAs, federation management, etc., along with "recommended" PAPs for
each requirement.

NIST can't "pick winners in the marketplace" so these PAPs are their
mechanism to facilitate the market to do so. While NIST has some
high-level recommendations, they are actually looking towards the
marketplace to define the specifics in a set of working groups:
http://collaborate.nist.gov/twiki-cloud-computing/bin/view/CloudComputing/WebHome

If CCIF was "boss of the world" wrt cloud interop, what would it do?

--Craig

On 3/12/12 8:35 AM, ruv wrote:
> The previous goal and mission are as follows. Maybe we should update it.
>
> The Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum (CCIF) was formed in
> order to enable a global cloud computing ecosystem whereby
> organizations are able to seamlessly work together for the purposes
> for wider industry adoption of cloud computing technology and
> related services. A key focus will be placed on the creation of a
> common agreed upon framework / ontology that enables the ability of
> two or more cloud platforms to exchange information in an unified manor.
>

> *Mission*

> CCIF is an open, vendor neutral, not for profit community of
> technology advocates, and consumers dedicated to driving the rapid
> adoption of global cloud computing services. CCIF shall accomplish
> this by working through the use open forums (physical and virtual)
> focused on building community consensus, exploring emerging trends,
> and advocating best practices / reference architectures for the
> purposes of standardized cloud computing.
>

> On Monday, March 12, 2012 11:30:16 AM UTC-4, pablochacin wrote:
>
> Ruv
>
> Those are great news. May I would suggest that we re-engage in the
> discussion
> starting from a review of the current (or last) state of the CCIF
> from you?
>
> Pablo

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 12:58:00 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, l...@aero.org
This is very interesting, I'll be in DC next week including meeting with various federal CIO's and presenting at the cloud-counsel's Quarterly meeting. Will you be there?

ruv

Tim Wessels

Mar 12, 2012, 1:06:42 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Good news...I've long maintained that "cloud interoperatbility" was the "holy grail" of cloud computing.  Now that open source cloud building has arrived and is gaining momentum, I think it is an appropriate time to re-engage on the discussion.

tim

Craig Lee

Mar 12, 2012, 1:08:37 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I will be there. Dawn Leaf of NIST is also the keynote first thing
Monday morning.

--Craig

On 3/12/12 9:58 AM, ruv wrote:
> This is very interesting, I'll be in DC next week including meeting with
> various federal CIO's and presenting at the cloud-counsel's Quarterly
> meeting. Will you be there?
>
> ruv
>
> On Monday, March 12, 2012 12:45:52 PM UTC-4, Craig Lee wrote:
>
> Ruv, et al.,
>
> Imho, a revitatlized CCIF could help tremendously in NIST's "Priority
> Action Plans" (PAPs) to promote cloud standards!
>
> The first volume of NIST's Cloud Computing Technology Roadmap released
> last November
> (http://www.nist.gov/itl/cloud/upload/SP_500_293_volumeI-2.pdf

> <http://www.nist.gov/itl/cloud/upload/SP_500_293_volumeI-2.pdf>)

> identified ten "High Priority Requirements", such as metrics, security,
> SLAs, federation management, etc., along with "recommended" PAPs for
> each requirement.
>
> NIST can't "pick winners in the marketplace" so these PAPs are their
> mechanism to facilitate the market to do so. While NIST has some
> high-level recommendations, they are actually looking towards the
> marketplace to define the specifics in a set of working groups:
> http://collaborate.nist.gov/twiki-cloud-computing/bin/view/CloudComputing/WebHome
> <http://collaborate.nist.gov/twiki-cloud-computing/bin/view/CloudComputing/WebHome>
>
> If CCIF was "boss of the world" wrt cloud interop, what would it do?
>
> --Craig

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 1:17:53 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, l...@aero.org
Great, save sometime for me.

Also there is a CloudCamp the evening before in Reston VA

Scott Jordan

Mar 12, 2012, 1:35:26 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
In.

--Scott

Fred Zappert

Mar 12, 2012, 1:07:52 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am definitely interested in seeing this forum resume - if anything the topic is much more timely, and less abstract.

I would be particularly interested in topics such as:
  • OpenStack
  • Cloud Federation, particularly from the perspective of authentication, authorization, and provisioning
  • Managing inter-enterprise collaborations, particularly around documents (Cross-domain solutions)
You could extrapolate to other potential areas of interest by viewing my LinkedIn Profile

Regards,
Fred

Dave Nielsen

Mar 12, 2012, 2:45:27 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, l...@aero.org, Larry Carvalho
Adding Larry Carvalho, the lead organizer for CloudCamp DC in Reston. It's co-located with the OMG Cloud Customer Standards Council quarterly meeting so should be a good place to pick-up these discussions.

Dave

Dave Nielsen
Co-founder, CloudCamp

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 3:56:23 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, l...@aero.org, Larry Carvalho
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up.

@ruv

Mark Williams

Mar 12, 2012, 4:48:24 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Cloud interoperability is also a subject close to my heart. Going beyond virtual servers I would eventually like to see portable data structures and business processes that could be moved between clouds and even extracted from one or more connected clouds and taken offline to function in a self-contained, virtual service oriented architecture. IaaS interoperability is one thing, but true PaaS and SaaS interoperability would be an incredible challenge for all sorts of reasons. That may seem like an impossible dream, way beyond what this group could achieve, and such a prospect would strike fear into many cloud vendors, but it certainly appeals to me. I haven't looked at the latest research on this topic but it's something I plan to look into when I get the time.

Mark

Forest Zhang

Mar 12, 2012, 8:23:42 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Count me in cause am more and more interested in Cloud interoperability, portability, federation and mobility.

Since Cloud Computing has advanced far beyond just a Hype, has matured to be the mainstream of IT industry, interoperability is more critical for cloud to further evolve. Meanwhile, the ineroperability and standards of Cloud Computing will foster and boost Cloud Brokerage Service market.

BTW, China is quickly catching up this tide of IT. As you might noticed that several giant web companies have debuted their cloud service offerings in second half of 2011. Therefore, count China cloud players in which could be a force you can't ignore.

Forest Zhang

@ruv

ruv

Mar 12, 2012, 9:05:51 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in Beijing the second week of April for the Intel Developers Forum (April 11th and 12th). Hong Kong and Seoul the first week. (CloudCamp Seoul is on April 4th)  Let me know if you'd like to meet.

@ruv
Forest Zhang

Forest Zhang

Mar 12, 2012, 9:47:38 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Of course and why not:)  See you then. Just drop me an email in advance and let me know where and how i can catch you guys:)

Ysun

Mar 13, 2012, 5:56:09 AM3/13/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I'm a PhD student studying in Queen's University Belfast, UK.
I'm working on a resource discovery framework in a multi-cloud environment and part of the research involves creating an ontology.

Ameer

Mar 12, 2012, 10:17:21 PM3/12/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Great revive
Interoperability standard is under discussion at IEEE workgroup, itu-t . I will be interested data sovereignty
Rizwan
CSa NZ

Sent from my iPhone

William