github repo

Nathan Naze

Apr 13, 2014, 2:08:55 PM4/13/14
to closure-library
To gauge interest, how useful would a github mirror (or migration as
primary repo) be to folks using the library?

Nathan

Daniel Steigerwald

Apr 13, 2014, 2:18:09 PM4/13/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
I was maintaining a clone on github, because google code does not support git protocol. Recently I found that Bower supports git+https so personally I don't need it.
  "dependencies": {
    "closure-library": "git+https://code.google.com/p/closure-library/"
  }

Mirror itself does not make sense. Moving to GitHub entirely does .-)

Nathan Naze

Apr 13, 2014, 2:21:32 PM4/13/14
to closure-library
> Mirror itself does not make sense. Moving to GitHub entirely does .-)

Using MOE [1], it's easy enough to for us to point our pushes at any
repo, and it's just a script, so we can update it to push to
either/or/both when we push.

I mostly would like to know, in general, would it be a sufficient
benefit to justify the work to either mirror or migrate.

Nathan

[1] https://code.google.com/p/make-open-easy/
> --
>
> ---

Nick Santos

Apr 13, 2014, 4:28:53 PM4/13/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be worthwhile.

github does a better job that code.google.com at integrating the
documentation, patch submissions, and bug tracker with the main repo.

The time you'll save on accepting small documentation fixes will, I
think, make up for the small marginal cost of adding a second MOE
mirror.

Tom Payne

Apr 13, 2014, 4:51:11 PM4/13/14
to closure-library
What's the plan for the bug tracker? Will existing issues at
be moved to GitHub as well?

Andre Tannus

Apr 13, 2014, 5:05:52 PM4/13/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
I also think it would be worthwhile.
André Tannús | Epungo | +55 11 2389-4360

thanpolas

Apr 14, 2014, 10:17:36 AM4/14/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
A mirror would be useless, a migration on the other hand... all my $$$$$$$

Nathan Naze

Apr 14, 2014, 11:14:20 PM4/14/14
to closure-library
>What's the plan for the bug tracker? Will existing issues at
https://code.google.com/p/closure-library/issues/list
be moved to GitHub as well?

Yes, we'd write a small script to migrate existing issues.

Lukáš Vlček

Apr 15, 2014, 4:11:04 AM4/15/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
+1 from me on migrating to github including issues.
Though I use maven artifacts I think community would benefit from this.

Regards,
Lukas

Si Robertson

Apr 18, 2014, 12:52:20 PM4/18/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
Migrating to GitHub would be good. Mass project migration would be better :-)

I actually asked a related question today regarding the compiler (closure-compiler-discuss/huB-TnYcIdc) before being directed to this discussion.

Daniel Steigerwald

Apr 26, 2014, 7:49:37 PM4/26/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
Switch to GitHub would be nice, but switch to CommonJS would be even more super-awesome.

Yesudeep Mangalapilly

Apr 28, 2014, 7:08:44 AM4/28/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com

That would be brilliant. Would love to see the entire closure stack on github.

John Lenz

Apr 28, 2014, 4:41:01 PM4/28/14
to closure-library

CommonJS is a different topic.

Nathan Naze

Apr 29, 2014, 4:04:25 PM4/29/14
to closure-library
Thanks for the feedback, all. We have decided to proceed with this.

We are moving the canonicals for the repos to github and will be turning down the previous locations shortly.

Compiler, Templates, and Stylesheets will also be migrating.

Nathan

Timo Lindemann

Apr 29, 2014, 4:49:09 PM4/29/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
That is great news! Thanks for this.

-T.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:04:25 -0400
"'Nathan Naze' via Closure Library Discuss"

Nathan Wright

Apr 29, 2014, 5:46:29 PM4/29/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
This is great!

Would it be possible to port closure-linter too? It's still running on SVN. I maintain a fork with a few patches and it'd be great if I could stop using git-svn, if at all possible.

Andre Tannus

Apr 29, 2014, 6:12:42 PM4/29/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

Lukáš Vlček

Apr 29, 2014, 11:25:44 PM4/29/14
to closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
Are you also going to use github issues for library as well? And if yes, are there any changes going into contributing process [1,2]?

Regards,
Lukas

Nathan Naze

Apr 30, 2014, 12:15:42 AM4/30/14
to closure-library
Yes. We will be updating the documentation in the next few days.