Too may open files with browser REPL

Roman Scherer

Jan 28, 2014, 4:07:24 PM1/28/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
Hello Clojure Scripters,

with my current REPL setup I get some really annoying "Too many
files open" errors. I'm not sure if it's a problem with
ClojureScript itself, Austin the browser REPL, nREPL or my own
miss-configuration of something.

When I connect to the browser REPL via AUSTIN and eval a whole
ClojureScript file the first time a lot of Ajax requests are sent
over the wire and my main namespace is getting compiled and
shipped to the browser. So far so good, my Java process is at
around 18676 open files. I don't care yet.

Compiling the same file again and again increases the open files

not sure if this is a problem with my setup, but I

18676, 19266, 22750, 21352, 33097, 62913, 64398, 64398, 64398,
64398, 64398 up to 171977, where some ulimit is reached and I get
an exception like this:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: .repl/5614/request/routes.js (Too many open files)

and my ClojureScript hangs up and I have to do a
cider-restart. Ok maybe I shouldn't eval whole files too often
over the XHR connection, but this seems not right.

I used the command "lsof -n | grep java | wc -l" to watch the
above numbers while evaluating the file again and again.

Does someone had a similar problem, knows how to solve that, or
has any ideas how to track this one down?

Thanks for your help, Roman.

Roman Scherer

Jan 28, 2014, 4:40:43 PM1/28/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
It's not Austin. Same result with piggieback only. Next I will
try it without piggieback, if I can remember how to get the
browser REPL working in the old days ...

Roman Scherer

Jan 28, 2014, 5:19:26 PM1/28/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
Piggieback is also from the list. Surprisingly, With the plain
ClojureScript browser REPL I get the error much earlier :(

Roman Scherer

Jan 28, 2014, 6:53:36 PM1/28/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I think I found the problem.

http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJS-753

David Nolen

Jan 28, 2014, 7:17:43 PM1/28/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
I suspected as much, thanks for taking care of this so quickly. Will get this in before the next release.

---

Roman Scherer

Jan 29, 2014, 4:16:43 AM1/29/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for merging.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ClojureScript" group.

Chas Emerick

Jan 29, 2014, 4:42:23 AM1/29/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
That was a fantastic bit of detective work, Roman. (For something I
probably should have caught a while ago when I was in there.) Thank you
for your perseverance.

- Chas