[ANN] Clojure 1.3 Released

Christopher Redinger

Sep 23, 2011, 5:44:36 PM9/23/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
We are pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.3:

  http://clojure.org/downloads

For maven/leiningen users, your settings are now:

  :dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.3.0"]]

This release includes many significant features and performance
enhancements, documented here:

  https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/1.3.x/changes.txt

The number of Clojure contributors continues to grow. Thanks to all
the people whose code is included in this release:

  Aaron Bedra
  Alan Dipert
  Alex Miller
  Alex Ott
  Alex Redington
  Alexander Taggart
  Allen Rohner
  Ben Smith-Mannschott
  Benjamin Teuber
  Brian Hurt
  Chas Emerick
  Chouser
  Christophe Grand
  Christopher Redinger
  Colin Jones
  Cosmin Stejerean
  Daniel Solano Gómez
  David Miller
  David Powell
  David Rupp
  Fogus
  George Jahad
  Jason Wolfe
  Juha Arpiainen
  Justin Balthrop
  Kevin Downey
  Luke VanderHart
  Meikel Brandmeyer
  Michał Marczyk
  Mike Hinchey
  Nicolas Buduroi
  Paul Michael Bauer
  Paul Stadig
  Phil Hagelberg
  Rasmus Svensson
  Rich Hickey
  Robert Lachlan
  Stephen C. Gilardi
  Stuart Halloway
  Stuart Sierra
  Timothy Pratley
  Tom Faulhaber

Thanks to all involved!

Chris
Clojure/core

Mark Nutter

Sep 24, 2011, 9:47:37 AM9/24/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Totally awesome, thanks to everyone.

I don't like the way github presents the changes.txt file, so I forked a copy and did a teeny bit of markup tweaking so it will display in nice touchy-feely HTML layout, if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Marc Limotte

Sep 24, 2011, 11:29:31 AM9/24/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mark.

This IS easier to read.

Ben Smith-Mannschott

Sep 24, 2011, 1:04:17 PM9/24/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
See also:

http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJ-838

I've submitted some patches there to recode changes.txt to Markdown a
week or two ago. I updated it last night for f0b092b66 "more
changes.txt tweaks"

// Ben

Isaac Gouy

Sep 25, 2011, 4:47:17 PM9/25/11
to Clojure

On Sep 23, 2:44 pm, Christopher Redinger <redin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.3:

The chameneos-redux program that now timeout after 30 minutes,
previously completely after 100 seconds with Clojure 1.2

The thread-ring programs that now timeout after 30 minutes, previously
completely after 58 seconds with Clojure 1.2

...OK binarytrees.clojure-4.clojure [33]
...OK binarytrees.clojure-2.clojure [32]
...OK .....binarytrees.clojure [31]
...OK .....binarytrees.clojure-5.clojure [30]
...OK .....binarytrees.clojure-3.clojure [29]
...TIMED OUT .....chameneosredux.clojure [28]
...OK fannkuchredux.clojure-2.clojure [27]
...OK .....fasta.clojure [26]
.PROGRAM FAILED fasta.clojure-3.clojure [25]
...OK .....fasta.clojure-5.clojure [24]
.PROGRAM FAILED fasta.clojure-4.clojure [23]
...OK .....fasta.clojure-2.clojure [22]
.PROGRAM FAILED fastaredux.clojure-4.clojure [21]
...OK knucleotide.clojure [20]
...OK knucleotide.clojure-4.clojure [19]
...OK knucleotide.clojure-2.clojure [18]
.PROGRAM FAILED knucleotide.clojure-3.clojure [17]
...OK .....mandelbrot.clojure-2.clojure [16]
...OK .....mandelbrot.clojure-6.clojure [15]
...OK .....mandelbrot.clojure-5.clojure [14]
...OK .....mandelbrot.clojure [13]
.OK .....meteor.clojure-2.clojure [12]
...OK .....nbody.clojure [11]
...OK .....pidigits.clojure-2.clojure [10]
...OK .....regexdna.clojure-3.clojure [9]
...OK .....revcomp.clojure-3.clojure [8]
...OK .....revcomp.clojure-4.clojure [7]
...OK .....spectralnorm.clojure-7.clojure [6]
...OK .....spectralnorm.clojure-2.clojure [5]
...OK .....spectralnorm.clojure-5.clojure [4]
...OK .....spectralnorm.clojure-6.clojure [3]
...TIMED OUT .....threadring.clojure-2.clojure [2]
...TIMED OUT .....threadring.clojure [1]

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/measurements.php?lang=clojure

Sean Corfield

Sep 27, 2011, 3:17:04 PM9/27/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Christopher Redinger
<redi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.3:

We took Clojure 1.3 into production today, along with a lot more
Clojure code compared to our previous production release. We've
converted all of our profile publishing and searching code to Clojure
now (from Scala and CFML respectively) and we're liking the initial
results we're seeing (improved stability and performance).

> The number of Clojure contributors continues to grow. Thanks to all
> the people whose code is included in this release:

Great work folks - thank you!
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

Bruce Durling

Sep 27, 2011, 3:22:04 PM9/27/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 20:17, Sean Corfield <seanco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Christopher Redinger
> <redi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.3:
>
> We took Clojure 1.3 into production today, along with a lot more
> Clojure code compared to our previous production release. We've
> converted all of our profile publishing and searching code to Clojure
> now (from Scala and CFML respectively) and we're liking the initial
> results we're seeing (improved stability and performance).

That is great to hear. So happy to see someone use a lot of clojure in
production. Congrats on the release.

cheers,
Bruce

Sean Corfield

Sep 27, 2011, 4:08:27 PM9/27/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Bruce Durling <b...@otfrom.com> wrote:
> That is great to hear. So happy to see someone use a lot of clojure in
> production. Congrats on the release.

Thanx. You can get a lot done with just a little Clojure. We stand at
1,829 lines of production Clojure code and 448 lines of unit tests so
far (and a lot of non-Clojure code - but that is slowly migrating to
Clojure as we do any substantial work on the backend of our system).

Sidharth Kshatriya

Sep 28, 2011, 12:21:38 AM9/28/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Intrigued by your statement that:

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Sean Corfield <seanco...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...] We've converted all of our profile publishing and searching code to Clojure

now (from Scala and CFML respectively) and we're liking the initial
results we're seeing (improved stability and performance).

Can you tell me why Clojure scored over Scala for you. Or was the code a mish-mash of Scala + CFML and that Clojure is just better than the combination?

Thanks,

Sidharth

Sean Corfield

Sep 28, 2011, 6:27:00 PM9/28/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Sidharth Kshatriya
<sid.ks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you tell me why Clojure scored over Scala for you.

For my Scala / Clojure anecdote, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/b18f9006c068f0a0/

We like CFML for View templating and Controllers but we expect to
migrate most of our Model to Clojure over time...