[ANN] Clojure 1.8.0-beta2

Alex Miller

Oct 27, 2015, 4:31:24 PM10/27/15
to Clojure
Clojure 1.8.0-beta2 is now available.

Try it via
Below is a list of the other changes included in beta2. See the full change log here: https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/changes.md.
  • CLJ-1809 fix VerifyError from direct linking changes
  • CLJ-1805 fix boolean logic error in direct linking rettag changes
  • CLJ-1823 Document new :load-ns option to defrecord/deftype
  • CLJ-1831 Add clojure.core/map-entry? predicate
  • CLJ-1827 Fix reflection warning introduced in CLJ-1259
  • CLJ-1453 Ensure that all Iterator implementations throw NoSuchElementException on next() when exhausted
Additionally, the Clojure test matrix on the build box now has an additional axis for running the tests both with and without direct linking.

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Oct 27, 2015, 7:47:21 PM10/27/15
to clojure
I've been monkey-patching `clojure.core/load` to add an extension point
for alternative compilers. Since I learnt about the direct linking changes, I also had to
monkey-patch `use` and `require`, since they refer to `load`. This works.

Any interest in disabling direct linking for `clojure.core/load` as it's such a
useful extension point?

Thanks,
Ambrose

---

Nathan Davis

Oct 27, 2015, 10:02:49 PM10/27/15
to Clojure, abonnair...@gmail.com
Or better yet, is there any interest in providing an interface to hook into the namespace loading process, so that monkey-patches are not necessary?

Nathan Davis

Alex Miller

Oct 28, 2015, 10:55:50 AM10/28/15
to Clojure, abonnair...@gmail.com
Sounds like a good question for discussion. Currently I believe the only way to disable direct linkability is by making a var dynamic (which I don't think is desired here), so it raises the notion that there should be some way to do this via metadata. I will bring it up with Rich.

Alex Miller

Oct 28, 2015, 10:57:54 AM10/28/15

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-5, Nathan Davis wrote:
Or better yet, is there any interest in providing an interface to hook into the namespace loading process, so that monkey-patches are not necessary?

Nathan Davis

That considerably raises what needs to be considered. Anything like this needs to start with a description of problems before considering a particular solution. I think it's highly unlikely we would consider anything like this in 1.8.

Nathan Davis

Oct 28, 2015, 11:13:21 AM10/28/15
to Clojure, abonnair...@gmail.com

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest anything like this should be in 1.8.  It was intended more as a query to get a general feeling for the receptiveness of such possibilities sometime in the nebulous future.  But I'll start a new thread for discussion.

Nathan Davis