[ANN] A CDN for Clojars (testers needed)

Toby Crawley

Oct 4, 2016, 9:38:03 PM10/4/16
to clo...@googlegroups.com
We're now serving a copy of the Clojars repository from Fastly's
CDN[1], backed by Rackspace Cloud Files[2] at
https://repo.clojars.org, and are looking for users to test out this
new setup. This CDN repo currently runs in parallel to the existing
repo, and any new deployments to clojars.org are automatically written
to Cloud Files for the CDN to serve.

If all goes according to plan, the CDN repo would always be available,
even if clojars.org was DDoSed or suffered a catastrophic failure.

Note: the CDN repo won't support Java 6 clients, and we know there are
still some people on Java 6, so we have a plan for that (see below).

# How can I help test it?

To use the CDN repo, you'll need to modify your tooling configuration:

* For Leiningen, update `~/.lein/profiles.clj` with the following:

{:user {:repositories [["clojars" {:url "https://repo.clojars.org"}]]
:plugin-repositories [["clojars" {:url "https://repo.clojars.org"}]]
;; other :user profile settings...
}}

* For Boot, update your project's `build.boot` with:

(set-env! :repositories
[["central" {:url "http://repo1.maven.org/maven2" :snapshots false}]
["clojars" {:url "https://repo.clojars.org"}]])

If you experience any problems with this repo, please file an issue at
https://github.com/clojars/clojars-web/issues

# What's the plan for this new repo?

We plan to run both repositories in parallel. Once we are satisfied
that the CDN repo is stable and the method for keeping it up to date
with new deployments is robust, we will:

* Submit PR's to Boot and Leiningen to update the default clojars url
to point directly to the CDN (until the updated tools are released,
you'll have to manually point to the CDN repo as shown above)
* Set up a server just for Java 6 clients (likely java6.clojars.org)
that proxies the CDN (If you explicitly use Java 6, you'll need to
explicitly use the java6 repo using instructions similar to those
above once you update to a tool release that uses the CDN repo by
default)
* Work with Colin Fleming to get Cursive updated to use the Java 6
server behind the scenes (we suspect that Cursive users on macOS
make up the bulk of our Java 6 clients)
* Turn off Java 6 support for clojars.org, which will force all Java 6
users to use the java6 repo (this will happen several months from
now, schedule still TBD). This will allow us to update the TLS
settings on clojars.org to be more secure.

# Thanks to our sponsors

Rackspace is graciously donating the servers and Cloud Files service,
and Fastly has been kind enough to donate our CDN, so thank them if
you get the chance.

[1]: https://www.fastly.com
[2]: https://www.rackspace.com/cloud/files

Alan Thompson

Oct 4, 2016, 10:45:49 PM10/4/16
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Done!  Seems to be working.
Alan

---

Sean Corfield

Oct 4, 2016, 10:56:00 PM10/4/16
to Clojure Mailing List
Updated my local ~/.boot/profile.boot and it seemed to work fine so I updated our (WS’) Archiva instance to mirror/proxy off that new URL and if I hit any problems running builds at work over the next few days, I’ll let you know.

Great to hear it’s on a CDN now!!

Sean Corfield -- (970) FOR-SEAN -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood

Toby Crawley

Oct 5, 2016, 8:20:34 AM10/5/16
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alan, Sean.

One thing I forgot to mention is we're not yet generating download
statistics for downloads via the CDN repo. We're collecting the logs,
but aren't yet processing them. We'll be implementing that soon, and
will include the historical data once we do.

- Toby