[ANN] Clojure 1.9.0-RC2

Alex Miller

Nov 27, 2017, 4:47:25 PM11/27/17
to Clojure
Clojure 1.9.0-RC2 is now available.

Try it via

- Leiningen: [org.clojure/clojure "1.9.0-RC2"]

1.9.0-RC2 is largely the same as RC1 but has the following changes:

- There is a new Maven profile and Ant target in the build to build an executable Clojure jar with deps included (and test.check). This can be useful for doing dev on Clojure itself or for just cloning the repo and doing a quick build to get something runnable.
- The readme.txt has been updated to include information about how to create and run a local jar.
- We have stopped publishing the clojure-VERSION.zip file as part of the release.

We would appreciate anything you can do to try out this release. We do not plan to make any further changes prior to 1.9.0 unless regressions are found.

Alex Miller

Nov 27, 2017, 5:17:10 PM11/27/17
to Clojure
I should also mention that I've re-built the Clojure doc automation process and the Clojure docs have refreshed for the first time in a long while. Most importantly, the 1.9 docs are up to date and now include specs for things that have been spec'ed:

Example macro with specs:

Additionally, I am in the process of overhauling the contrib project doc automation. In the meantime, I have at least done a manual update of the spec API docs:

Michael Glaesemann

Nov 27, 2017, 5:28:28 PM11/27/17
to clo...@googlegroups.com

> On 2017-11-27, at 16:17, Alex Miller <al...@puredanger.com> wrote:
>
> I should also mention that I've re-built the Clojure doc automation process and the Clojure docs have refreshed for the first time in a long while.

Thanks, Alex!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Egg Syntax

Nov 27, 2017, 10:35:05 PM11/27/17
to Clojure
Great choices on how to present core specs -- really clean & readable.

Thanks!

Khalid Jebbari

Nov 28, 2017, 4:22:19 PM11/28/17
to Clojure
Specs in docs are nice, great addition.

2 things related to them :
- what is `quotable` ? Couldn't find its docs in the page
- I suppose `:closure.core.spec.alpha/exclude` refers to a spec, but again it's absent from the docs. A quick search in clojure.core and spec.alpha repos didn't reveal it. Where are they defined ? It would be nice if they where included in docs and/or were clickable directly from docstrings.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Alex Miller

Nov 28, 2017, 5:23:22 PM11/28/17
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Khalid Jebbari <khalid....@gmail.com> wrote:
Specs in docs are nice, great addition.

2 things related to them :
- what is `quotable` ? Couldn't find its docs in the page

All of the core specs are defined in an external library (so we can update it more frequently than Clojure):

In this case, quotable is a helper function (refer-clojure and import are particularly weird in source/spec as they are designed to be used both directly at the repl and inside the ns macro):

We use the short form description in the docs (s/describe) rather than the long-form fully-qualified version (s/form) for readability. This is a tradeoff as it omits information but I think usually wins. It would be better if we could easily link to the definition of the spec source, which is possible to add.

- I suppose `:closure.core.spec.alpha/exclude` refers to a spec, but again it's absent from the docs.

As this is defined in another project you won't see it here. FYI, you can use `doc` to look at any spec by name at the repl:

user=>  (doc :clojure.core.specs.alpha/exclude)
-------------------------
:clojure.core.specs.alpha/exclude
Spec
  (coll-of simple-symbol?)

A quick search in clojure.core and spec.alpha repos didn't reveal it. Where are they defined ? It would be nice if they where included in docs and/or were clickable directly from docstrings.

Agreed and you would see it here (but not clickable) if it was defined in this project. You can see an example of this in the java.jdbc docs:

It would be a nice enhancement to support an external http source for those external specs in the doc generator.

Khalid Jebbari

Nov 29, 2017, 7:01:52 PM11/29/17
to Clojure
Thanks for the pointers Alex. Hopefully the problems will be solved one day, most Clojure API will be spec'd and we'll be happy.

Keep up the good work.