[ANN] lein-codeindex 0.1.0 - Easy code indexing and referencing for Emacs, Vim and other editors

Sanel Zukan

Dec 28, 2016, 9:58:31 PM12/28/16
to Clojure
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce first version of lein-codeindex, source code indexer
that will scan and reference your project files and all dependencies
used by the project.

This is Leiningen plugin that can generate references for Emacs (with
etags) or Vim and other editors (with ctags).

You can details on github page
(https://github.com/sanel/lein-codeindex) and some common usage in

Best,
Sanel

Daniel

Dec 29, 2016, 8:34:07 PM12/29/16
to Clojure
What is the benefit of tags over cider's go to definition functionality or docs functionality?

Sanel Zukan

Dec 30, 2016, 3:19:11 AM12/30/16
to Daniel, Clojure
Daniel <double...@gmail.com> writes:
> What is the benefit of tags over cider's go to definition functionality or docs functionality?

Plenty of functions comes without docs strings, especially private
ones.

Also, go-to-definition will jump to implementation of current
function/ns only; you are not able to use auto-completion with tags,
symbol regex search (e.g. 'into-*') nor listing all references to
e.g. 'assoc-in' used through the code.

If you are funky enough, you can even integrate tags index with your
zsh/bash shell:

* https://asciinema.org/a/88088
* http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_ZSH_completion_with_ctags_and_Vim
* https://robots.thoughtbot.com/silver-searcher-tab-completion-with-exuberant-ctags

Best,
Sanel

Pedro Santos

Dec 30, 2016, 4:56:01 AM12/30/16
to Daniel, Clojure
Played around with it and it was pretty cool. Did have to change your code to specify a full path for ctags on my machine.

The thing is, when I tried something like namespace/function it didn't follow... that would be my main usage I'd say. Any plans to accomplish that?

---

Sanel Zukan

Dec 30, 2016, 10:36:25 AM12/30/16
to Pedro Santos, Daniel, Clojure
Pedro Santos <donbon...@gmail.com> writes:
> Played around with it and it was pretty cool. Did have to change your code
> to specify a full path for ctags on my machine.

Thanks! I'll add this as TODO for the next version.

> The thing is, when I tried something like namespace/function it didn't
> follow... that would be my main usage I'd say. Any plans to accomplish that?

I'm aware of this problem. This issue is mainly related to ctags/etags
limitations and has been brought up before [1]. For now, maybe you can
try with newer ctags version [2] or adjust $HOME/.ctags with custom
Clojure regular expressions and cut off namespace part (pretty crude
solution).

But the answer is yes, this is in my TODO for one of the next releases.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/ctags/bugs/362/
[2] https://ctags.io/

Best,
Sanel