[Proposal] Typed Clojure for Contrib

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Nov 23, 2012, 10:39:13 AM11/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd like to propose Typed Clojure to be a Clojure Contrib project.

Typed Clojure is an optional type system for Cloure, based on Typed Racket.

Currently there is a 0.1 release which is usable but not complete.

I suggest the name "core.typed".

Please provide feedback towards this proposal

Thanks,
Ambrose

David Nolen

Nov 23, 2012, 11:44:32 AM11/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
+1. Sounds like a fantastic addition to me.

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Nov 23, 2012, 1:52:29 PM11/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Some comments on names:

core.static-types   (boring, non-descriptive)
core.optional-types (descriptive, a bit long)
core.gradual-types (more descriptive, implies room for a core.soft-types etc. :-) )
core.types    (ambiguous? Clojure is untyped...)
core.typed-clojure (clear ancestry to Typed Racket, perhaps redundant)
core.typed    (short, cooler)

Thanks,
Ambrose

Michael Fogus

Nov 23, 2012, 4:21:20 PM11/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
+1

How about core.typed.gradual?

:F

-- http://blog.fogus.me
-- http://github.com/fogus

Paul deGrandis

Nov 24, 2012, 4:17:29 PM11/24/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com, abonnair...@gmail.com
+1

I actually like core.typed.gradual but I'm fine with whatever.

Stuart Halloway

Dec 7, 2012, 6:57:21 AM12/7/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Totally want this. Just need to get Rich to weigh in on the name.

Stu

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Paul deGrandis <paul.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1

I actually like core.typed.gradual but I'm fine with whatever.

Rich Hickey

Dec 9, 2012, 9:35:33 AM12/9/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
This would be a fantastic contrib - thanks!

Could you explain more about the implications and correctness of the terms 'gradual' and 'optional' when applied to your work?

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Dec 9, 2012, 9:51:58 AM12/9/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,

Gradual typing is the most precise description. I personally use "optional typing" as a sort of "catch all" for these type systems that can be switched off, I don't think it has a more precise definition.

Gradual types implies we can have part of our program dynamically typed, and part statically typed. This is exactly how Typed Clojure works.

Thanks,
Ambrose

Paul deGrandis

Jan 13, 2013, 3:11:51 PM1/13/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com, abonnair...@gmail.com
Pulling this back to the top -

Did we settle on the contrib name: core.typed vs core.typed.gradual?

 - Paul

Mikera

Jan 14, 2013, 7:28:00 AM1/14/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com, abonnair...@gmail.com
+1, would love to see this as an official contrib library.

FWIW, I think "core.typed" is the best name. Reasons:
 - Consistency with other libraries e.g. "core.logic"
 - Hints at connection with "Typed Racket"
 - Short and catchy.

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Jan 14, 2013, 9:38:19 AM1/14/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Personally crossing my fingers for core.typed.

Ambrose

Michael Fogus

Jan 14, 2013, 9:42:39 AM1/14/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
I'm not crazy about the raw core.typed, but I'm not going to post an
angry blog post if it happens either. My only gripe with it is the
same gripe I had (note "had") with core.logic. That is, the longer
qualification is more accurate and sets precedent for future typed
contributions like core.typed.hm, core.typed.dependent etc...

That's all.

Paul deGrandis

Jan 14, 2013, 10:38:22 AM1/14/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Like Fogus, I like the longer, more qualified names for the same reasons.

That said, I'm fine with both.
Paul

Rich Hickey

Jan 30, 2013, 8:43:35 AM1/30/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Are you guys holding out additional type systems on us? :)

I'm ok with our first entrant getting core.typed, and am looking forward to core.typed.dependent.

Rich

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Jan 31, 2013, 7:25:29 PM1/31/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
:) +1

I'll claim core.typed then.

If someone could do the boring work for me (Jira, Github) that would be great!

Thanks!
Ambrose

Michael Fogus

Feb 1, 2013, 12:58:02 PM2/1/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
> Are you guys holding out additional type systems on us? :)

Leave it to Rich to see through the obvious pedantry on my part. ;-)

Stuart Halloway

Feb 2, 2013, 4:39:37 PM2/2/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Boring work complete.  Let me know if I it works, or I need to be bored some more. :-)

Stu

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Feb 2, 2013, 10:17:30 PM2/2/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
All works, cheers Stu :)

Can I immediately push my existing code? My contributors all have a Clojure CA (only one contributor as of now), is it still necessary for each contributor to agree with the move to contrib by posting on the mailing list? I remember this was necessary for core.match.

Ambrose

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Feb 2, 2013, 10:48:53 PM2/2/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
I, Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant, give my permission to release my contributions to Typed Clojure under the Clojure Contributor Agreement.

Stephen Compall

Feb 2, 2013, 10:50:03 PM2/2/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com

I, Stephen Compall, give my permission to release my contributions to Typed Clojure under the Clojure Contributor Agreement

--
Stephen Compall
If anyone in the MSA is online, you should watch this flythrough.

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Feb 2, 2013, 10:52:59 PM2/2/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I and Stephen are the only contributors. The previous two messages should satisfy http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/Moving+Projects+Into+Contrib

...and that is everyone according to: https://github.com/frenchy64/typed-clojure/graphs/contributors

I will start moving the code over.

Ambrose

Stuart Halloway

Feb 4, 2013, 7:48:49 AM2/4/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic!

Sean Corfield

Feb 13, 2013, 10:53:36 PM2/13/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
I have finally gotten around to updating the Clojure Contrib library
pages on the wiki to list core.typed with links to build status,
Maven, JIRA and Github.
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Feb 15, 2013, 2:28:55 AM2/15/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Where do I start to get core.typed building?

Sean Corfield

Feb 15, 2013, 3:46:45 AM2/15/13
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
First step: make sure mvn test does the right thing in your project...

Then I think it's a matter of getting Stuart to update the build
system... http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/How+to+Create+New+Contrib+Projects

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant