Time for "Para" Geoengineering Syllabus?

Michael Hayes

May 3, 2011, 10:17:54 PM5/3/11
to climatein...@googlegroups.com
I have read and watched many dedicated Geoengineering researchers spend 90-95% of their public discourse time explaining the most basic concepts of Geoengineering. They seem to be giving the same freshman lecture over and over. Having a class of knowledgeable, well trained and respected technicians, may help establish common knowledge within the mind of the general public, thus, feeing up the researcher from such repetition.

Paramedics have proven themselves to be a valuable asset to the emergency medical field. I propose that we come up with a training program that can certify a person to the extent that they are well versed in the basic understanding of the many different fields associated with Geoengineering to take some of the public education load off the professional researchers. Public education is important!

A paramedic is trained in many different aspects of medicine, yet, they are not an expert in any, Such broad knowledge applied to a new field may prove to be useful. Look at the definition of "Para": "occupational roles considered ancillary or subsidiary to roles requiring more training, or of a higher status, on such models as paramedical  and paraprofessional". The few folks studying geoengineering, at a deep level, can not carry the full public education load. A para class of geoengineers may be useful.

Paramedics have contributed to the advancement of Emergency Medicine through simple direct feedback, as well as, practical insight. A trained class of Para-geoengineers may be useful to advancing this new field. I estimate that it would take a minimum of 2 years of study just to read and understand the current issues. But, after 2 years, that person could be useful to this field as a general educator and trained "general" research assistant.

As long as the field (concept) of Geoengineering is restricted to the Phd level, it will meet strong public resistance. Developing a Para level training program could help in many ways.

What would they do?

1) Stay abreast of the many academic, technical and policy peer reviewed publications.
2) Offer unbiased, web based, means for study guidance to (un-trained) interested persons so that they can do their own background study.
3) Take part in field trials as a means of translating the abstract knowledge into practical knowledge. This can help the para-geoengineer communicate to the interested public.
4) Provide feedback to the higher disciplines concerning technical suggestions, policy improvements and public concerns.

The modern concept of the Emergency Room can not exist without the paramedic. Geoengineering, at it's core, is an emergency medical procedure! Should we not take the time to train a supporting class of technicians?

Please give me your feedback on this suggestion.

rongre...@comcast.net

May 3, 2011, 11:20:10 PM5/3/11
to vogle...@gmail.com, climatein...@googlegroups.com
Michael:
    This is to take up your request for feedback on your suggestion for using/needing paraprofessionals.

      I am not qualified to answer for the SRM side of geo-engineering, but I don't think it would work well for most of the CDR side.  Especially not for Biochar.  This last is growing rapidly and maybe has a surplus of advocates and explainers.  The needed PhD level research is largely missing - for lack of funding, although the few getting support have been effective and apparently willing advocates.

      Fortunately, the UK and Australia and (hopefully) China and Japan are providing some beginning support - that is sorely lacking in the US. Biochar is also fortunate in having quite a few anthropologists and archaeologists growing ever more familiar with the Amazon 's "terra preta".

Ron

Michael Hayes

May 4, 2011, 1:44:09 AM5/4/11
to climatein...@googlegroups.com, vogle...@gmail.com
Thanks Ron,

I think you have simply made my point with your response. How many folks walking down the street can tell you what "terra preta" means? Atmospheric Carbon Capture is an important aspect of Geoengineering. Yet, unless a class of educators/technicians are trained to bring the concepts down to the understanding of the masses, the Phd funding will be difficult to find.

Does your use of the term "terra preta" refer to Portuguese "black earth", Amazonian dark earth or Indian black earth? In certain areas, the need to choose the best definition may help the local folks better understand the concept. Please spend time on Hollywood Blvd with a camera asking folks what "terre preta" means!!!! Jay Leno would probably buy the videos!

Thanks for the feedback,

hiroshi mizutani

May 5, 2011, 3:42:48 AM5/5/11
to Climate Intervention
Michael:

I see your point. Furthermore, I believe the professionals are to be
educated as well. Both professionals and lay people lack sufficient
perspective on Geoengineering to make right choices.

With this in mind, I am now trying to set up a web site at my office
in Japan. Its main language is Japanese because intensive exchanges
among any interested parties must be done with their mother tongue. I
am a bit sorry for that, but I certainly see the need for the
familiarization program in English. It will benefit us as well as
folks in the street.