IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: CLASS2GO AND EDX

Sef Kloninger

Apr 3, 2013, 10:40:05 AM4/3/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com

Today we are announcing an important change.  We are merging the Class2Go project and code with edX.  The formal announcement is here and it's going to be in the news today.

EdX has a plan in place to release their platform by June 1st under the AGPL open source license.  Stanford will run an instance of this code ourselves for MOOC’s, classes for on-campus students and distance learners, and as a platform for experiments.

Why are we doing this?  We believe it is good to have as many strong engineers as possible working together on a joint project.  That is good for the community at large; it’s also good for Stanford.  We are also excited to get our hands on the rich feature set of the edX platform.

Stanford is not becoming a part of the EdX consortium; we are not an “x” organization.  Our classes will still be accessible through http://online.stanford.edu/

The engineering team at Stanford that has been working on Class2Go will shift its attention to the edX codebase right away.  Class2Go will be in maintenance mode.  We won’t take any code down, however, and this forum will stay open, for now at least.

You are welcome to keep using Class2Go.  It’s out there, and we are proud of it.  But it won’t get much development attention from us going forward.  For example, the existing committers won’t have time to field pull requests or answer many questions on the forum.  If you want to build something off Class2Go going forward, you might want to do so on your own fork.

But we really hope that you come with us over to this new project.  We’ve seen remarkable developer interest on Class2Go.  My hope is this came out of a desire for an open-source education platform, and not just Class2Go per se.  I hope many of start using the open-source edX platform as soon as it is available, I think it will be great.

Thank you all.

- Sef Kloninger, engineering manager on Class2Go

Aravinth Chandran

Jun 1, 2013, 9:27:26 AM6/1/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr,Kloninger.

It is really great the people's interest in working to deliver world class education to people everywhere...
so big thanks for all of you, I got a great benefit by learning some course from Stanford over online,

I have just recently started "Introduction to Databases" .. i was wondering how long will i be able to access class2go website,
so, after transforming into edx will you still be keeping the above course.

regards,
Aravinth.

Sef Kloninger

Jun 1, 2013, 9:59:20 AM6/1/13
to Aravinth Chandran, class2g...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the nice words, and I'm glad that you benefitted from the class.

We plan on keeping Class2Go running for some more months, but not indefinitely.  My expectation is that we will port that content over to our edx-based platform as Professor Widom plans to re-run her class at least annually.  Also not that the same material is available at Coursera in self-study mode (same as Class2Go) and I'd be surprised if it was taken down from there anytime soon, although I'm not sure about that.

- Sef

Constantin Costea

Jun 11, 2013, 1:44:59 PM6/11/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Our
SQL Query Exercises will be deleted ?

Best,
Constantin

Susanne Wienand

Jul 20, 2013, 10:55:22 AM7/20/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mr. Kloninger,

I have an account for Class2Go and can log in there with username and password. For logging in at Class2Go with edX, email adress and password is required. I entered correct email and password but get a message email or password are wrong. What can I do?

Best
Susanne Wienand

Sef Kloninger

Jul 22, 2013, 12:16:23 PM7/22/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

The new OpenEdX system (class.stanford.edu) is distinct from Class2Go (class2go.stanford.edu), even though they are both around for some time.  So if you registered with Class2Go with a name/password, that should still work on Class2Go, but won't carry over to OpenEdX.  You have to re-register.

- Sef   (engineering manager)

Sef Kloninger

Jul 22, 2013, 12:19:27 PM7/22/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Jennifer Widom's DB Class is in the process of being converted so it can run on the new OpenEdX system.  At some point it will be switched over, and eventually Class2Go will be shut off.  At that point your own query responses would go away too.

We are still unsure about the value of writing an export feature for student homework / quizzes on Class2Go.  Maybe we'll submit a poll on that.

- Sef

Lauren Barresi

Aug 21, 2013, 10:22:55 AM8/21/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sef,

You posted on July 22 that the Database class instructed by Jennifer Widom is in the process of being converted to the OpenEdX system.  While it is still in Class2Go I am able to access all videos, quizzes, test etc.  My question is if I go through all these current tools, am I able to still receive a Statement of Accomplishment from Professor Widom?  Because all the deadlines listed in the account I just registered for are dated to be completed by March 2013.  It is now August 2013 and I was planning to complete the course before November 2013.  Please let me know if this is possible and if you are not sure, whom would I be able to contact?

Thank you! This program has so many great reviews and I would like to be able to participate in this online experience!

All the bests,
Lauren

Greg Bruhns

Aug 21, 2013, 12:48:55 PM8/21/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lauren,
The Introduction to Databases course on Class2Go has been in a "self-study" mode since the course ended in March. We wanted users to be able to continue accessing the material and submitting assignments to see which questions they get correct, but you are not earning points towards a Statement of Accomplishment.

If you are interested in receiving a Statement of Accomplishment for the course, it will run again this coming Winter on the OpenEdX platform. You can create an OpenEdX account on this page: http://class.stanford.edu

As a registered user on either Class2Go or OpenEdX, you will receive email notifications on upcoming courses.

Regards,
Greg

David Glance

Aug 22, 2013, 10:52:30 AM8/22/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
The course is also running at https://www.class2go.uwa.edu.au  - it is in week 4 so you could catch up (although there is a fair amount of work) if you want to do it now - it is the Stanford course but being run out of the University of Western Australia.

Regards,

David

Shanti Suresh

Nov 4, 2013, 10:55:15 AM11/4/13
to class2g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sef,

It is extremely useful to have our homework / quizzes ported over along with our accounts.  That was a fantastic class.  I have yet to complete it and am still routinely looking over my responses.  You will get a unanimous "yes please" response if you were to poll the community.

Thanks for your wonderful efforts,

                        -Shanti