Please include a copy of the GPL in tarball distributions

Lance Parsons

Jul 2, 2019, 3:17:00 PM7/2/19
to Circos
The home page for Circos states that it is licensed under the GPL, however I don't see a copy of the GPL included with the distribution (http://circos.ca/distribution/circos-0.69-8.tgz). Please include a LICENSE file in the distribution as required by the GPL. See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WhyMustIInclude. That will also help satisfy GPL requirements for other distribution mechanisms (e.g. Bioconda https://bioconda.github.io/contributor/linting.html#gpl-requires-license-distributed)

Thanks for your consideration.

Lance

Martin

Jul 3, 2019, 12:47:29 PM7/3/19
to Circos
Hi Lance,

Thank you for pointing this out.

I've added the LICENSE file (gpl-3.0.txt) to all current tarballs.

Wayne

Jul 8, 2019, 12:48:51 PM7/8/19
to Circos
Hi Martin,

Two minor things.

1)
Has anything else change besides the addition of the License and changes to packaging in the last month? Meaning has some underlying Circos code changed in the three releases in the last month?
I assume it had since the other two recent releases pre-date the addition of the LICENSE file. I looked in the CHANGES log in the current release and it says nothing after 2017. And the comments at http://circos.ca/software/download/ are all the same.
The practical reason I am asking because I was trying to gauge how much effort I should put into to updating the Jupyter notebooks I had generated using 0.69-6 code to run the tutorials and share at https://github.com/fomightez/circos-binder .(That site is still a work-in-progress.)

2) Also I am seeing the welcome message now say ` welcome to circos v0.69-8 15 Jun 2019 on Perl 5.022000` when I am running the following:

cd ../circos-tutorials-0.67/tutorials/1/4/
../../../../circos-0.69-9/bin/circos -conf circos.conf

That is, while running circos-0.69-9, the message is saying 0.69-8. I don't know if you care that the version numbers aren't matching up?

Like, I said, minor.

Thanks,
Wayne