One weird trick for more body

Wes Cherry

Feb 11, 2018, 7:57:00 PM2/11/18
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
This isn’t spam, really!

At Cidercon, I was given a bottle of Arabinol, a product made from the Acacia tree.  The vendor claimed it could be added for perceived sweetness and body.  I don’t get the sweetness, but it certainly gives cider a glycerol-like slipperiness.

It can also be purchased on eBay.

(I’m not going to use Arabinol in my ciders — it’s too much manipulation for me.)

-Wes

Andrew Lea

Feb 12, 2018, 2:45:12 AM2/12/18
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Gum Arabic E 414. Used all over the food industry as a thickener and stabiliser, and one of the oldest (EU permitted) wine adulterants in the book. Not legal in the UK for “cider” as defined in HMRC 162 but used in fruit flavoured “made wines” I believe.

I agree Wes, I don’t think it fits with your ethos really! But somebody’s obviously spotted  a “gap in the market”.

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Miguel Pereda

Feb 12, 2018, 8:53:31 AM2/12/18
to Cider Workshop
In some occasions I used arabic gum as an experiment. I disolved  10g of arabic gum in 100 mL of destiled hot water. And using an only drop of this disolution in every bottle body of the cider got much better and the sensation in mouth of the thin ciders of small quality. It can be a technological resource for these cases.