Ph adjustment

已查看 73 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

john....@btinternet.com

未读,
2017年12月7日 02:47:582017/12/7
收件人 cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Is it normally coincided OK to adjust Ph at any stage during the fermentation process with Malic acid and does will affect the fermentation in any adverse way?.

Thanks, John H

CiderSupply.com

未读,
2017年12月7日 03:28:172017/12/7
收件人 Cider Workshop
I haven't noticed any adverse rections even with wild yeast. But I typically tend to adjust my pH right after pressing so there's a less likelihood of unwanted Critters getting a foothold before yeast starts up. especially if there's any sort of lag time between pressing and the initiation of juice fermentation.

Best regards
Chris Rylands

Andrew Lea

未读,
2017年12月7日 04:16:112017/12/7
收件人 cider-w...@googlegroups.com
As Chris said, pH adjustment should ideally take place at the pre fermentation juice blending stage.  That means you can make an informed choice on SO2 levels or, if you don’t use SO2, you can get the pH to a safe range before adverse microbes take a hold.

The later you do the adjustment, the more risk of spoilage you run. But you can do it any time and it won’t affect the main progress of yeast fermentation, only the side reactions from unwanted organisms that can lead to problems. It’s  your choice.

BTW here is a little presentation I gave on pH control to some cidermakers recently http://cider.org.uk/ph_control.pdf

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

john....@btinternet.com

未读,
2017年12月7日 12:33:372017/12/7
收件人 cider-w...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris and Andrew, thanks for your replies,

As usual my cider production was not too well organised, there being no yeast where I thought I had some. For the first 2x25 litre barrels I had to use wine yeast which was all i could get but added cider yeast when my order arrived, there has been no campden tablets or any other preservative added yet nor have I ever used it in my cider but intend to this year as most of it will be stored in a non pressurised container.

I have also had an issue with my first Ph readings as I posted in my last thread on here (average 5.5, wrong and luckily was advised it was wrong) firstly it would not calibrate and then failed completely, the new metre arrived which also failed to calibrate and had to be replaced, the current metre is all OK at the moment and thanks to all the advice from here is why I seem to be on a better track now the average Ph is between 4 and 4.5, My question now is what Ph should I aim for during Fermentation and during storage ?, there is 12x25 litre barrels now with different types of cider yeasts and different combinations. How much campden tablets shouls be used? I am very happy with my return from the pressings of about 70%.

Thanks then, John H.
.

I haven't noticed any adverse rections even with wild yeast. But I typically tend to adjust my pH right after pressing so there's a less likelihood of unwanted Critters getting a foothold before yeast starts up. especially if there's any sort of lag time between pressing and the initiation of juice fermentation.

Best regards
Chris Rylands

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

CiderSupply.com

未读,
2017年12月7日 12:47:492017/12/7
收件人 Cider Workshop
Organized huh... what's that :-)

Every year I get more and more cider apples from the orchard and as production goes up organization goes down. One nice thing though cider is pretty forgiving often you can tweak it into a different style.

For me I try to keep everything and then what doesn't keeve i make alternates.

When cider making doesn't stay fun, i will quit making cider.

Best regards
Chris Rylands

john....@btinternet.com

未读,
2017年12月7日 13:18:082017/12/7
收件人 cider-w...@googlegroups.com

I agree Chris, but just getting the cider up to scratch will do for now!

John H.

From : ci...@cider.org.uk
Date : 07/12/2017 - 18:34 (GMTST)

To : cider-w...@googlegroups.com