sucralose

Chriss Mason

Dec 7, 2017, 1:59:28 PM12/7/17
to Cider Workshop
Hi all

Can anyone tell me how to dilute sucralose to sweeten my cider

Ray Blockley

Dec 7, 2017, 2:07:15 PM12/7/17
to Workshop-Cider
Much depends on the volume you wish to sweeten? I sweeten when filling each BiB so make up a solution of 25g Sucralose powder dissolved in 750ml boiled & cooled water so I can store it in screw cap glass bottles. I then use the syringe supplied (Vigo) to add the required amount to taste.

From 3-5ml per 20L for an "off-dry" to around 15-20ml for a medium-ish cider.

Works for me, others will have different approaches.

Ray.

On 7 Dec 2017 18:59, "'Chriss Mason' via Cider Workshop" <cider-w...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone tell me how to dilute sucralose to sweeten my cider

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

jitd...@aol.com

Dec 7, 2017, 2:20:22 PM12/7/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Can it really be cider if it is derived from anything else but apple juice?
Jit
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

jitd...@aol.com

Dec 7, 2017, 2:23:03 PM12/7/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Does your packaging explain that your cider is diluted with a solution of sucralose in water?
Jit

Ray Blockley

Dec 7, 2017, 2:24:03 PM12/7/17
to Workshop-Cider
Really? So I use 100% fresh picked apples & a tiny fraction of Sucralose to sweeten it when *asked* for as I sell it in BiBs & you are questioning if it can really be called "cider"?

What do you call it then? Please enlighten me.

Ray.

On 7 Dec 2017 19:20, "jitdavies via Cider Workshop" <cider-w...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Can it really be cider if it is derived from anything else but apple juice?
Jit

Can anyone tell me how to dilute sucralose to sweeten my cider

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Chriss Mason

Dec 7, 2017, 2:34:31 PM12/7/17
to Cider Workshop
Cheers Ray 👍

Chriss Mason

Dec 7, 2017, 2:34:56 PM12/7/17
to Cider Workshop
😳

Ray Blockley

Dec 7, 2017, 2:36:10 PM12/7/17
to Workshop-Cider
No worries Chris. Any more queries, just holler! 😊

Ray.

On 7 Dec 2017 19:34, "'Chriss Mason' via Cider Workshop" <cider-w...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Cheers Ray 👍

jitd...@aol.com

Dec 7, 2017, 2:45:20 PM12/7/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
So what is cider if not the fermented juice of apples? If you add honey it is cyser, if you add other fruit it becomes a "country wine". If you add sucralose and water it is cider diluted with sucralose and water. If you add sulphites you are supposed to declare it.
I am not opposed to your adding artificial sweeteners. Most punters would find "cider" unpalatable without sweetening agents, and I don't object to your making a living - any living in the country is hard enough.
My problem is that three or so years ago I bought a gallon of "dry Kingston Black Cider" from a well respected supplier near Glastonbury. Got the liquid back home to give the wife a treat with the Friday fish (us being a traditional sort of family) and it was a domestic disaster. If you drank the rank liquor whilst holding your nose it was sweetish, release the tension on the nostrils and a cloying odour rendered the drink unpalatable to my wife at least. I persevered, I had paid for it after all, but had to keep holding my nose. It wasn't enjoyable. Someone later told me that this particular supplier used to dose the jollop with saccharine.
If I buy cider in good faith I think I am entitled to know what it has been adulterated with. Straightforward labelling that's all.
And, is it really cider if it contains a non apple sugar?
Jit

Ray Blockley

Dec 7, 2017, 2:52:56 PM12/7/17
to Workshop-Cider
I'm not here to argue with folk with some sort of agenda. A question was asked in good faith & I answered in good faith trying to help another cider maker.

I have zero interest in your comments in this thread. If you wish to start a debate, do so in a fresh thread.

Ray.

On 7 Dec 2017 7:45 p.m., "jitdavies via Cider Workshop" <cider-w...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Ian Jenkins

Dec 8, 2017, 1:14:13 PM12/8/17
to Cider Workshop
I would say if an ingredient is listed as allowed in cider in Excise Notice 162 then it is cider.  Sucralose is an allowed as is water as an ingredient so it is cider