Re: [Cider Workshop] Digest for cider-workshop@googlegroups.com - 9 updates in 5 topics

Thomas Smit

Oct 18, 2017, 10:26:22 PM10/18/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
OK, I get the message! Thanks to a change to my (eventual) house design I can fit in another row of cider apple trees. Two Yarlington Mills OK? :)

Tom

On 19 Oct 2017, at 1:01 AM, cider-w...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Thomas Smit <jovial...@gmail.com>: Oct 18 08:37AM +1030

Is it difficult to provide pollinators for this tree? Should I add Yarlington Mill and Somerset Redstreak to the trees I have bought? My block of land is in Tasmania.

My trees are:
Break wells Seedling •
Improved Foxwhelp

Bulmers Norman (Triploid)
Sweet Coppin

Kingston Black
Dabinett •

King David
Brown Snout •
Denis France <handma...@gmail.com>: Oct 18 09:03AM +0100

Being triploid they can be pollenated by others but cannot pollenate others.

I dont know what they fruit like out there but in England i would always
have Yarlington Mill on a planting list and never Bulmers Norman, apart
from the fact it produces large crops.

Denis

Denis

Claude Jolicoeur <cjol...@gmail.com>: Oct 18 06:19AM -0700

Le mercredi 18 octobre 2017 04:03:32 UTC-4, Early Red a écrit :

> I dont know what they fruit like out there but in England i would always
> have Yarlington Mill on a planting list and never Bulmers Norman, apart
> from the fact it produces large crops.

Denis, any particular reason for avoiding Bulmer's Norman?
I ask because here in Quebec, BN has proven to be one the best and most
recommandable of the English varieties that we can plant. It adapts well to
the cold climate and short season, crops well, and produces good quality
fruit. Yarlington Mill is also doing quite well by the way, but surely
doesn't crop as heavily and as reliably as BN.

Thomas, when I was in Australia and Tasmania, I remember seeing a lot of BN
and of YM, so these 2 varieties are quite popular by your part of the
world. Yarlington Mill would certainly be a good companion for your trees.
Claude

Tom Bugs <bugb...@gmail.com>: Oct 18 04:21AM -0700

Here's a pic of iodine test today on Dabinetts (left) and Yarlington
(right):
silks58 <dave.s...@nationwide.co.uk>: Oct 18 01:54AM -0700

Does anyone use and have spare plastic inserts for 1000 litre IBCs and 200
litre plastic barrels the=at they are willing to sell. I have tried
contacting a number of manufacturers / suppliers and they don't seem
interested in selling the small quantity we require.
Thanks
Dave
Matt Cavers <matthew...@gmail.com>: Oct 17 01:14PM -0700

Hey everyone - hope cider season is going superbly! Got a question for the
BC people in the group. Can anyone suggest a nursery in our province (or
really anywhere nearby) who might be taking orders for cider apple grafts?
Or, failing that, a nursery who could supply me with rootstock that we
could graft ourselves, and a source for cider variety scionwood? I'm sure
competition is fierce for trees these days, but you know, it never hurts to
ask!
Chris Schmidt <ch...@todcreekcider.com>: Oct 17 07:31PM -0700

Hey Matt;

Try any of the following:

- Bylands Nursery in Kelowna
- Le Coteau Nursery in Saanich
- Neufeld Bros Nursery in Agassiz
- Summerland Varieties in Summerland provides the budwood, and may be able to refer you to some additional nurseries.

Sorry I don’t have their #’s but you can google them. There is another small nursery in Salmon Arm area that I think i still taking orders. I just sent him an email to check, and if he is, I‘ll send you his contact info.

Cheers!

Claude Jolicoeur <cjol...@gmail.com>: Oct 17 08:51PM -0700

See my website (cjoliprsf.ca), there is a page on canadian nurseries.
I have to say that Chris's reply is more complete however... But there are
a number of other canadian nurseries that will ship to BC.
In addition to his suggestions, you could try Derry Walsh. It's been a
while however since I have been in contact with them.
Claude

Le mardi 17 octobre 2017 16:14:16 UTC-4, Matt Cavers a écrit :
Bartek Knapek <cy...@knapek.pl>: Oct 17 07:52PM +0200

Hi,

Natural yeast failed me and after 2 weeks the situation looks like below.

I am curious how it will affect the final cider, so I thought I would rack clean juice and add some yeast.

But I am concerned if it would still be safe to drink such a cider. I bet there are plenty of mould spores in the juice, even though it looks fine.

I guess it is not uncommon to get some mould on the juice every now and then.

Does mould always = drain? What is your experience / knowledge?

It is a pretty white mould, with a nice smell of blue cheese (for what it matters :)

//Bartek
You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.