Apples and juice

Brian Rimmer

Feb 13, 2018, 2:44:26 AM2/13/18
to Cider Workshop
Hi my name is Brian and i am new to this group.i have been making beer for a number of yrs and want to have a go at cider.

What I would like to know is if I can juice or mash up apples and store in plastic bottles in fridge as  I  source them until  I have enough or would they spoil.Hoping someone can help and would be very grateful

Cheers Brian

Gmail

Feb 13, 2018, 10:59:24 AM2/13/18
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

You can store sweet cider/unfermented juice in the fridge for some time, but it will start fermenting unless it’s been pasteurized (albeit very slowly at the low temp). Are you also asking about scratting apples and storing them in that form in the fridge before pressing them? If so, I can’t think that would be particularly helpful; you’d face spoilage risks, but I also don see the point in storing it that way vs. just gathering the apples and pressing them all in one go. If you need to preserve some juice for later use, you can also freeze it. And how much cider are you trying to make? Because for a 5gal batch at lower press efficiency, I’d think you’d need at least 100 lbs- and that’s a lot of pomace to refrigerate.

Lastly, if you’re “juicing” the fruit rather than pressing it, I’d think you’ll have way higher particulate/sediment levels than if you’re pressing the juice to separate it from the flesh.

Matt Moser Miller

Sent from my iPhone
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

gloria bell

Feb 13, 2018, 11:08:44 AM2/13/18
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I used to freeze the extra until I had carboy space...if we had too many apples.  Worked well!