Cider apple tree availability in British Columbia?

Matt Cavers

Oct 17, 2017, 4:14:16 PM10/17/17
to Cider Workshop
Hey everyone - hope cider season is going superbly! Got a question for the BC people in the group. Can anyone suggest a nursery in our province (or really anywhere nearby) who might be taking orders for cider apple grafts? Or, failing that, a nursery who could supply me with rootstock that we could graft ourselves, and a source for cider variety scionwood? I'm sure competition is fierce for trees these days, but you know, it never hurts to ask!

Chris Schmidt

Oct 17, 2017, 10:31:23 PM10/17/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt;

Try any of the following:

- Bylands Nursery in Kelowna
- Le Coteau Nursery in Saanich
- Neufeld Bros Nursery in Agassiz
- Summerland Varieties in Summerland provides the budwood, and may be able to refer you to some additional nurseries.

Sorry I don’t have their #’s but you can google them. There is another small nursery in Salmon Arm area that I think i still taking orders. I just sent him an email to check, and if he is, I‘ll send you his contact info.

Cheers!

PastedGraphic-6.pdf

Claude Jolicoeur

Oct 17, 2017, 11:51:38 PM10/17/17
to Cider Workshop
See my website (cjoliprsf.ca), there is a page on canadian nurseries.
I have to say that Chris's reply is more complete however... But there are a number of other canadian nurseries that will ship to BC.
In addition to his suggestions, you could try Derry Walsh. It's been a while however since I have been in contact with them.
Claude

Matt Cavers

Oct 18, 2017, 11:56:17 AM10/18/17
to Cider Workshop
Thanks guys - this helps. Looking forward to hopefully getting some more trees in the ground soon(ish)!

M.

Brian Webster

Dec 1, 2017, 8:02:48 AM12/1/17
to Cider Workshop
We at Salt Spring Apple Company have just potted about 300 whips of traditional cider varieties, a few dozen cider-friendly crab-apples and another 350 or so of other heritage and connoisseur apples. These are certified organic trees and they're available now. You can contact us at ad...@saltspringapplecompany.com for more information.

Brian Webster
Salt Spring Apple Company

Claude Jolicoeur

Dec 1, 2017, 9:32:24 AM12/1/17
to Cider Workshop
Brian, (off list)
Would you like me to add Salt Spring to the list of Canadian source of cider apples, on my website (http://cjoliprsf.ca/SourceCanada.htm)?
If so, please let me have a list of the varieties you offer.
Claude
Message has been deleted

Gloria Bell

Dec 28, 2017, 8:50:29 AM12/28/17
to Cider Workshop
Saltspring Apple Company is awesome.  If they don't have what you are needing, try Denman Island Heritage Apple.  I also have over grafted some varieties for our family orchard and may be able to assist.