Low S02, H2S, Acetaldehyde producing yeast strain trial.

Brent

Dec 9, 2017, 2:30:28 AM12/9/17
to Cider Workshop
Curious, has anyone else tried  specialty yeasts (Be Fruits, Sensy or ICV Okay).  I did a small trial this fall on Gala with the three yeasts.  As a blender our Gala cider is usually very neutral.    The goal was to reduce sulfite addition and sulfide production.  Manufacturers claim that these yeasts produce less acetaldehyde and SO2 during fermentation thus lessening the need for higher rates of SO2.  I usually allow fermentation to start before pitching a yeast but inoculated these three batches after settling with no SO2 addition.  I feel they all worked well and having finished primary fermentation Be Fruits is the most impressive and seems to have left Royal Gala with a bit of character.

P.S.-Although our perry production is small,  these little yeasties did well on culinary pears with 40 ppm free SO2 as opposed to the usual 80-90 ppm.