Scale (?) Pest Identification and Suggestions for Measures to Take?

Matthew Moser Miller

Jun 16, 2017, 11:05:58 AM6/16/17
to Cider Workshop
Hi all,

Noticed just last night one of my apple trees (Golden Russet on MM.106) seems to have a lot of these little bugs on it's new growth (see attached). The tree's had a pretty rough year, between being planted last spring, then getting nailed by the cicadas and continual browse damage from the deer. It's one of the weaker trees I have.
When I went to check this morning, there were way fewer bugs at the top, but they seem to have spread out and I've seen them up and down the trunk near leaves/new branches (and the ants patrolling up and down the tree seemed to freak out when I killed a few). Based on the ant reaction, and the fact they seem to be attaching/sucking on fresh growth (and the mild winter we had): are these scales? If so, they seem soft-shelled rather than armored.Any particular suggestions on how to deal with them? One of the things I read suggested cutting out infested growth, but that's basically all the growth.

There don't seem to be any on the nearby trees (which are much larger/healthier, even on the same rootstock), so I want to nip this in the bud. Appreciate any suggestions.

Matt Moser Miller
Scale pest (pic 1) 6-16-17.JPG
Scale pest (pic 2) 6-16-17.JPG
Scale pest (pic 3) 6-16-17.JPG

Duncan Hewitt

Jun 16, 2017, 12:14:24 PM6/16/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

They're aphids/greenfly. They eat new growth and the ants milk them for their 'honeydew', guarding them against any predators of their 'cows'. With older trees we don't worry too much and wait to see if the ladybirds and various predatory wasps can deal with the issue, but with a younger tree I suggest mixing up some washing up liquid with water and spraying them with it. Give them a good drenching, but on an evening as the liquid can scorch the leaves in the sun. As for the farmer ants, wrap a band of sticky paper (grease bands) around the trunk and this will prevent the ants from climbing up to their cows. Bayer Boltac bands are what we use. We use the washing up liquid method as we can use Ecover as it's 100% biodegradeable.

Cheers,

Duncan
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com