Kerr and Dolgo crab apple varieties for cider. Keeving experiences with these varieties?

Māris Plūme

Dec 8, 2013, 7:22:51 AM12/8/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious if anybody has ever made cider from these varieties? Maybe even keeving experiences?

I've planted several trees from these varieties because in local Latvian discussion forums they where mentioned as might be perspective for making cider. And what about hyslop crab apple? By the way is there maybe some bitter sweet cider apple variety which is quite winter hardy (as low as -30 degries C) and ripe more early? I mean, some which might be worth to try out in Latvia?

Any suggestions on winter hardy cider apple warieties will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Claude Jolicoeur

Dec 8, 2013, 7:53:20 AM12/8/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I grow Kerr and Dolgo here in Quebec, they are quite popular as they are very flavorful and extremely winter hardy. I make an excellent spread from them.
However for cider, keep in mind the acidity will be in the area of 20 to 30 g/L of malic acid. If you have plenty of low-acidity apples to blend them with, you may consider using a bit in your blend as they will add color and flavor. But you'll need A LOT of sweets to blend them!
My experience with cider varieties appropriate for cold climates is pretty much all written in The New Cider Maker's Handbook.
Claude

Wes Cherry

Dec 8, 2013, 11:09:07 AM12/8/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
A friend made a fairly tasty and "hot" dolgo cider.  His procedure was to periodically capitalize with sugar until the alcohol got high enough to kill the yeast, 15-18%.  He then added enough sugar to balance the acid.    The end result, bottled still, was pretty good - syrupy, sweet and sour - something to sip as a digestif...

-'//es

Sent using the 4S
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cider Workshop" group.

Māris Plūme

Dec 11, 2013, 11:58:22 AM12/11/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Claude, for your answer. I bought the digital version of your book right after I red your comment. i have to admit, this is really great book - Also covering many detailed advices for keeving, which I'm recently trying to master. i'm so happy I bought it.

Claude, would it be possible to get some branches of cider apple varieties of yours? I'm looking forward to conntact somebody from preferably Canada around Quebec, cause it looks like weather conditions might be similar to ones in Latvia, who could be interested to send me some little branches of cider apple varieties!

Also thank you Wes for your answer! It also clears something up for me.

Claude Jolicoeur

Dec 11, 2013, 12:24:43 PM12/11/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

 Māris Plūme wrote:
Claude, would it be possible to get some branches of cider apple varieties of yours? I'm looking forward to conntact somebody from preferably Canada around Quebec, cause it looks like weather conditions might be similar to ones in Latvia, who could be interested to send me some little branches of cider apple varieties!

You can recontact me in February or beginning of March for scion wood. I normally cut it by mid-March.
Claude

Andrew Lea

Dec 11, 2013, 12:45:10 PM12/11/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On 11/12/2013 17:24, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:

> Māris Plūme wrote:
>
> Claude, would it be possible to get some branches of cider apple
> varieties of yours?
>

> You can recontact me in February or beginning of March for scion wood. I
> normally cut it by mid-March.

Don't want to "rain on anyone's parade", but isn't Latvia subject to EU
Plant Health regulations? Wouldn't the scions need to go through
quarantine and / or come from an approved nursery?

Andrew

--
Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk

Māris Plūme

Dec 11, 2013, 5:01:57 PM12/11/13
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
It may be that you are right, Andrew Lea!
I'll check it! Thanks for warning!

77grundy

Oct 6, 2015, 11:35:00 PM10/6/15
to Cider Workshop
I tested a few Kerr today from 2 absolutely loaded trees. The juice was sweet, very floral, a little tannic but not much, but not at all tart. SG was 1.052 and was very surprised that acidity was only 8g/L tartaric. Will definitely add some to my blend this year and might make a small single batch to see how that turns out. Very lovely rose colour to the juice so will interesting to see if that comes through in the cider.

squarepegman

Nov 9, 2015, 5:13:12 PM11/9/15
to Cider Workshop
I have pressed Kerr a couple times; unlike all the other apple I've tried, the juice is a beautiful pink and not cloudy. For some reason, I could never get it to ferment without blending with something else.