Orchard horsepower

KAB

Dec 6, 2017, 3:16:51 PM12/6/17
to Cider Workshop
We are looking at buying a tractor for our 9 acres paddock/orchard with 200+ traditional size M25 cider apple trees (now 3+ years old) planted on a hexagonal pattern with 7m between trees and 5m between rows.
Main job will be mowing/flail mowing the orchard rows and the land around it. A front end loader and bucket are on the list as well. Also a roller and trailer.

Just curious what other orchardist have, especially the horsepower. Our local tractor store is suggesting 40hp to 'grow into'.
Can we get away with less? I think he came to this when we told him we might lift a bin of apples with it, or maybe even a full IBC.

Any suggestions welcome.
Katherine

Cornelius Traas

Dec 6, 2017, 3:27:14 PM12/6/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hello Katherine,
I think 40hp is about right to lift a bin with. A tractor of this power will not lift a full IBC without modification/ballast etc. A nicely reconditioned MF 135 or Ford 3000 would be very nice, though you may want something more modern for the loader/bucket controls.
By the way, at 7m x 5m, you would fit about 1000 trees in your 9 acres. I assume it is not all planted (yet).

Con Traas
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Wes Cherry

Dec 6, 2017, 4:22:49 PM12/6/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On my 40hp john deere compact tractor a full bin is pushing it when lifted via forks mounted in place of the bucket.

You would need a rear mounted forklift attachment to move IBCs, and then might need ballast.

I have never wished I had less horsepower. :)

-Wes

Tony Cross

Dec 6, 2017, 6:33:27 PM12/6/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

I have a 40hp Kubota that will easily lift a 400kg bin of apples, but will be at its limits to lift (and in particular), manoeuvre  a full IBC.  Not to say that it won't cope with the job, but you would want a fairly robust forklift mounted. My tractor will power a light 6ft slasher , but not a 10ft 2 or 3 gearbox orchard mower. So I would say to buy the biggest you can afford, and I doubt you will regret it in the future.

Sent from Outlook

Dec 6, 2017, 10:17:02 PM12/6/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I have a small 24 hp Kubota which has served me well for over 20 years. It lifts 1200 lbs on the back with a lift. 600 lbs on the bucket. If you are going to stack bins you will want the bucket lift since the back lift is good to about 3 feet. Apple bins run between 700 and 800 lbs. Full IBC's a lot more.

Dec 7, 2017, 4:49:08 AM12/7/17
to Cider Workshop
Thanks all for the information. Sounds like what we are looking at is not overpowered and will get us started.
Now just have to learn to drive it.

Follow up question - how do you fill the petrol tank

Ian Jenkins

Dec 7, 2017, 1:11:49 PM12/7/17
to Cider Workshop
I'm assuming petrol tank was a mistake as you want to be running a diesel unless your into vintage tractors.
In the UK you can buy red diesel to run them on as it costs much less, you can use jerry cans for transporting and get a funnel for pouring. If you are going to use a lot then get a tank and get it delivered min is usually 200 litres but you need to use it up as there is summer and winter grade and you dont want summer still in the tank if it gets cold

Richard Anderson

Dec 7, 2017, 1:13:50 PM12/7/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
One day at a time 😊 Get the tractor, read the manual. Tractors are easy to run, all of my grandchildren learned as soon as their feet could reach the pedals. As for the petrol, depending on the use you can fill from jerry cans filled at the local fuel supplier. Keep in mind that you will also need to learn to service the tractor and make repairs from time to time. From experience one needs to be aware of where you are in relation to the implements on the tractor and tight spaces like buildings and fences. One nice thing about tractors is that they can go really slow so you have adequate reaction time. My joke is that I got into the orchard/cider business so I could have a tractor.

Dec 8, 2017, 3:08:33 AM12/8/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katherine.
If mowing grass is going to be one of your main jobs for the tractor I would strongly advise you look at tractors that take a mid-mounted “deck” mower.
They are attached under the tractor and allow you to mow much closer to the trees. With a mower attached behind the tractor it’s pretty difficult to get up to the tree, and if you do, you are constantly looking backwards and end up with a crooked neck!
Another big decision:
Hydrostatic drive or gearbox
Go for hydrostatic every time.
Again, with mowing, you are constantly wanting to change your speed and go back and forth. With a conventional gearbox you will have a very sore leg with all the gear changing.
Kubota or John Deere both v good.

Good luck.

Jason Mitchell

ronb...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2017, 12:57:46 PM12/8/17
to Cider Workshop
You are receiving good advice from all.  Though I fear that I might be reminded this site is about cider not tractors, :>)))   I would like to add a bit more for you.
Tractor data.com is a good website and will help you determine the differences between all models and makes of every tractor ever sold.
Orange tractor talks is a web board for Kubota owners and lots of folks willing to help.
Green tractor talks is for John Deere...and I am sure there is one for mahindra and every other brand you can think of.

I would agree with Jason about the Hydrostatic, many times faster and easier to operate than a standard gear box and clutch.
I would add this...Be Careful.    I have no idea how flat your ground is but even a shallow depression on flat ground with an elevated load can be enough to cause the tractor to turn over.   A ballast box on the back may be needed if you are going to be lifting heavy loads to your max. range.  I Replaced my smaller John Deere with a Kubota L5740 and soon found out it was not as stable as my older John Deere.  There are many  ways to address this...but be aware...esp with the hydrostatic ...which I and Jason have recommended.  Because you can change directions...so fast and easy... ...just because the tractor can lift the load and move does not mean the tractor will keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

Lastly, no matter what the local dealer was telling me...I would be out driving as many tractors as I could get on...to see where they fit and how they handle...The tuition you pay for the education you get can be expensive when it comes to Tractor College.

Good Luck..