Blue Oak (HDPE) barrel closed head new seals

wyatt s

Oct 15, 2017, 4:34:20 PM10/15/17
to Cider Workshop
Hi all-

I'm seeking advice on what to use to make new gaskets for a batch of 85 liter HDPE open-head barrels I just purchased for cider.
I'm trying to make these airtight (gas permeability of HDPE notwithstanding).
The seals that came with are open or closed cell foam, and were not doing a very good job.

Denis France

Oct 16, 2017, 1:46:25 AM10/16/17
to Cider Workshop
I have considered this but not tried it. Cover the lip of the drum and the groove where the gasket fits with Vaseline, fill the hole the gasket sits in with silicone sealant and screw the lid down gently till you think you have contact with the mating surfaces, leave 24 hrs and then check it. If you have got it wrong, pull out the bead of silicone and try again.
Denis

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Tom Bugs

Oct 16, 2017, 2:41:51 AM10/16/17
to Cider Workshop
I found in the archive the suggestion to remove old seals and soak in hot water - seems to have done the trick with an old one which wasn't sealing properly.

Ray Blockley

Oct 16, 2017, 4:48:56 AM10/16/17
to Cider Workshop
Remove, wash well, soak in very hot water so it regains it's shape & section (plastic memory), dry well & store separately in a dry place.

Ray.

Max Nowell ( Steilhead Cider)

Ray Blockley

Oct 16, 2017, 3:52:37 PM10/16/17
to Workshop-Cider
Agreed! But after 10 yrs+ the seals are still going strong with a bit/lot of TLC... I am more in need of replacement galvanised ring clamps.

Ray.

Wes Cherry

Oct 17, 2017, 5:13:10 AM10/17/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
i think some of these will fit blue oak.

-'//es Cherry
Dragon's Head Cider
Vashon Island, Wa US

wyatt s

Oct 26, 2017, 8:02:07 AM10/26/17
to Cider Workshop
Thank you everyone for your replies. I decided to buy a tube of food grade silicone and have a go at making gaskets.