Pasteurized apple juice

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2017, 10:33:07 PM12/12/17
to Cider Workshop
Hi everyone,

I just read the section of The Apple Grower from Michael Philips that talks about pasteurized apple juice. He states that pasteurized juice can not be compared with freshed juice in terms of quality, nutrition etc. It is the first time I read this. Personnaly, I prefer pasteurization because of it's ability to be kept at room temperature...

Is the author of the book a bit of a purist or it is comonly admited that pasteurized apple juice is a second grade product compared to fresh or frozen apple juice?

Thank you,

Louis

David

Dec 13, 2017, 3:03:15 AM12/13/17
to Cider Workshop
My opinion is that fresh juice is better quality and nicer tasting. Good pasteurised juice is not far behind it, what cannot be compared is the stuff usually sold in stores in cartons that is made up from concentrated juice.

Gloria Bell

Jan 1, 2018, 11:41:28 PM1/1/18
to Cider Workshop
I find that pasteurized juice ferments faster.  I had one pressing split into two carboys.  Started one right away and the other I left for wild fermentation.  The wild didn't take off so after a week I pasteurized it instead of sulphiting, cooled and pitched the same yeast.  The pasteurized carboy is way farther ahead in fermentation and reaching dryness, the raw juice is still sweet.  Haven't taken SG readings but they are significantly different.