Bulmers Norman (Triploid)

Thomas Smit

Oct 18, 2017, 2:46:43 AM10/18/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Is it difficult to provide pollinators for this tree? Should I add Yarlington Mill and Somerset Redstreak to the trees I have bought? My block of land is in Tasmania.

My trees are:
Break wells Seedling •
Improved Foxwhelp

Bulmers Norman (Triploid)
Sweet Coppin

Kingston Black
Dabinett

King David
Brown Snout

Denis France

Oct 18, 2017, 4:03:32 AM10/18/17
to Cider Workshop
Being triploid they can be pollenated by others but cannot pollenate others.

I dont know what they fruit like out there but in England i would always have Yarlington Mill on a planting list and never Bulmers Norman, apart from the fact it produces large crops.

Denis

Denis

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Claude Jolicoeur

Oct 18, 2017, 9:19:25 AM10/18/17
to Cider Workshop
Le mercredi 18 octobre 2017 04:03:32 UTC-4, Early Red a écrit :
I dont know what they fruit like out there but in England i would always have Yarlington Mill on a planting list and never Bulmers Norman, apart from the fact it produces large crops.

Denis, any particular reason for avoiding Bulmer's Norman?
I ask because here in Quebec, BN has proven to be one the best and most recommandable of the English varieties that we can plant. It adapts well to the cold climate and short season, crops well, and produces good quality fruit. Yarlington Mill is also doing quite well by the way, but surely doesn't crop as heavily and as reliably as BN.

Thomas, when I was in Australia and Tasmania, I remember seeing a lot of BN and of YM, so these 2 varieties are quite popular by your part of the world. Yarlington Mill would certainly be a good companion for your trees.
Claude

Denis France

Oct 18, 2017, 10:51:31 AM10/18/17
to Cider Workshop
Bn has a hard bitter tannin. Ym is soft and astringent, but it may be different over there?
Also bn has a thin skin and does not keep well. Ym being a bit later with firmer flesh and thicker skins mature well and one does not need to hurry to pick them.

The only real plus with bn is the size of the crop and I go for quality over quantity every time.

Bn are ok for bulking out a cider but one does not want too much in the blend. If you are not planting many bittersweet varieties I would avoid it.

Denis

Thomas Smit

Oct 18, 2017, 6:59:28 PM10/18/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
OK, good. I can add another row of cider apples and will add Yarlington Mill and see what other varieties I can add. Or ditch the Bulmers Norman?

I reckon I can grow some perry pears too: Gin, Yellow Huffcap and Moorcoft, maybe a few more.

Tom

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com