Pressing Discoveries from cold store

Richard Bendall

Aug 19, 2017, 1:44:39 PM8/19/17
to Cider Workshop
I bought a bin of Discoveries from cold store.
Using a basket press I found that the the resulting pulp released very little juice.
When I have used Discoveries straight from trees these have pressed well.
Any comment gratefully received. Richard

David

Aug 19, 2017, 2:44:32 PM8/19/17
to Cider Workshop
 I find (especially with early varieties) that fresh fruit yields very well but over ripe fruit are far less willing to give up their liquids. More likely to get apple puree than juice if too ripe.
My explanation is fresh fruit cells are hard and shatter like crushing a light bulb, cells in over ripe fruit are more like semi inflated balloons and squish rather than break and give up the juice.
Certain varieties (especially Spartan) go downhill rapidly as far as juice yield goes once cold stored, possibly Discovery are the same.

Was hoping to press my Discovery tomorrow but looks like Monday now, hope they are OK.

Michael Cobb

Aug 20, 2017, 4:32:56 AM8/20/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

If you have apples that are too soft and produce a puree/slurry try the suggestion I made in the thread on Ice pears.  Liquids tend not to compress and if there is nothing to channel the juice what is there in large quantity cannot be extracted, you need a binder to form channels and provide solidity. When I have used the technique with pears I have got very high juice yields.

Michael Cobb

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com