Ice Bartlett Perry?

Royal Magnell

Aug 15, 2017, 9:16:57 AM8/15/17
to Cider Workshop
I pressed Bartlett pears in a ratchet press last week and it was a nightmare. press cloths clogged and eventually burst. Since then I thought of freezing the pears and pressing them whole to get a low yield extract for an ice Perry. Any advice?

downside perry

Aug 15, 2017, 3:34:09 PM8/15/17
to Cider Workshop
Did you add pectinase in the pulp and leave to macerate for a few days before pressing?
Next time maybe use use proper perry pears - they are a joy to press.
As for the ice perry - I have always thought that the resulting massive sorbitol level would be so high as to render the perry undrinkable.

Royal Magnell

Aug 19, 2017, 12:46:51 AM8/19/17
to Cider Workshop
How long would you macerate bartletts for? I macerated for 24 hours... does the pressing get easier the longer you wait?

downside perry

Aug 19, 2017, 2:55:03 AM8/19/17
to Cider Workshop
only if you have added pectinase at a suitable dosage. 24 hours is probably enough at warm temperatures.
I have never pressed bartlett pears but it did work on some weird cooking pears that had a lot of pectin in.

Michael Cobb

Aug 19, 2017, 6:58:36 AM8/19/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

If you can find some firm apples, may not be many that are ripe yet but unripe will do for this, press the apples and keep the dry pomace.  Mix this with the milled pears which will then press more easily even if they mill to a wet slurry.  The pomace acts to provide channels for the juice but firmness for pressing, you cannot press anything too soft successfully!

Michael Cobb

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com