[Cider Workshop] Pressing Room Advice?

Duncan Hewitt

Aug 20, 2017, 1:07:21 PM8/20/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
We're mulling over the idea of converting an old coal-shed/thunderbox to a single 10' square room to a pressing room. We'd probably still wash the apples outside as we're on a septic tank, but it would be good to have a room for pressing, fermenting and bottling. Possibly even storage of finished bottles too. I think we *may* just be able to manage all that in that space, but shelf-storage of finished items can always be somewhere else if not.

My question is, at the moment it's a single-brick thick wall with blue brick floor on ash - open rafters to tiles. I imagine our EHO would have a heart attack to think we might use it in this state, but has anyone been through the process of converting an outbuilding which should make an EHO happy? So far I imagine dabbing plasterboard on the walls to get them shipshape, though I'm not too fussed about making them double-skinned. I'm even open to the idea of limewashing and keeping them brick, but no idea if that's acceptable these days. I was thinking of lilfting the floor, adding a DPM and relaying it higher than the current outside ground level, where it's at at the moment. It's north facing, which helps with temperature, but again I might add some Triso-Super 10 or similar to help reflect summer heat.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - my next port of call would be to call the ESO themself, but I thought it might be worth asking on here first.

Cheers!

Duncan

Vince Wakefield

Aug 20, 2017, 1:29:09 PM8/20/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

All depends on where you are

Vince

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

AVG logo

www.avg.com

David

Aug 20, 2017, 1:54:12 PM8/20/17
to Cider Workshop
If you are going to do it up from what it is I would use hygienic cladding. A bit clinical maybe but it would satisfy food standards and would be so much easier to keep clean.
I wish I had done mine years ago.

Duncan Hewitt

Aug 21, 2017, 4:13:50 AM8/21/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David - not heard of that!

Vince, we're in south Derbyshire - so I suspect there's little to no experience with our local EHO - I don't know anyone else pressing and bottling their own cider in the area, though I'd love to meet anyone who does!

Duncan

On 20/08/2017 18:54, David wrote:
If you are going to do it up from what it is I would use hygienic cladding. A bit clinical maybe but it would satisfy food standards and would be so much easier to keep clean.
I wish I had done mine years ago.

Ian Jenkins

Aug 21, 2017, 3:11:21 PM8/21/17
to Cider Workshop
I'm using a sheep shed no longer used for sheep, a good clean and used netting to keep birds out, water was just a hosepipe. EH would have preferred plumbed in supply which I'm planning on doing, wanted hoses kept off the floor and want a rodent bait station in the shed to see if any activity.  Concrete floor, block work walls and Yorkshire boarding.  It passed inspection with no issues but I am in Herefordshire.

Plan to board over the Yorkshire boarding just to make it a bit warmer when the winds blowing and get it plumbed in