Changing between Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts?

Ant

Sep 23, 2012, 4:30:49 PM9/23/12
to Chinese Mac
Hello.

In Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2, how does one change between Simplified
and Traditional Chinese fonts? When highlighting Chinese characters
and changing to another one (Traditional to Simplified or Simplifed to
Traditional), they do not get changed at all in updated MS Office for
Mac 2008 and 2011 (Word and PowerPoint).

Thank you in advance. :)

王龍駒

Sep 23, 2012, 8:10:25 PM9/23/12
to chine...@googlegroups.com
.
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012, Ant wrote:

> In Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2, how does one change between
> Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts?

One doesn't change between SimpCHN and TradCHN fonts, rather one
changes between keyboard input methods.

> When highlighting Chinese characters and changing to another
> one (Traditional to Simplified or Simplifed to Traditional), they do
> not get changed at all in updated MS Office for Mac 2008 and
> 2011 (Word and PowerPoint).

One can convert from SC to TC and vice versa via the Services menu in
one's Application menu.

Jeffrey

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Jeffrey J. Hayden, Ph.D. Professor of Language (Chinese)
( 王龍駒 / 王龙驹 ) Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD)
eFax: 413.487.0389 http://sites.google.com/site/wanglaoshi1/

Learning is never directly caused by anything that a professor
does. It happens as a result of the student's own activities
(reading, thinking, writing, etc.), while the professor can only
facilitate that process.
--Ahmed Afzaal, 2012.07.11, CHE, "Grading and Its Discontents"

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
.

Ant

Sep 23, 2012, 8:53:09 PM9/23/12
to Chinese Mac
> > In Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2, how does one change between
> > Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts?
>
> One doesn't change between SimpCHN and TradCHN fonts, rather one
> changes between keyboard input methods.

I am not talking about the inputs. Just what is already shown on the
screen. Hence, the highlights of texts/characters to change.

> > When highlighting Chinese characters and changing to another
> > one (Traditional to Simplified or Simplifed to Traditional), they do
> > not get changed at all in updated MS Office for Mac 2008 and
> > 2011 (Word and PowerPoint).
>
> One can convert from SC to TC and vice versa via the Services menu in
> one's Application menu.

Hmm, I don't see it? Here's an example with updated Office 2011's
Word's new document and its Services menu options: http://i.imgur.com/b1xLS.png
... This was in the updated Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).

John Bacon-Shone

Sep 24, 2012, 3:56:48 AM9/24/12
to chine...@googlegroups.com

> > > 2011 (Word and PowerPoint).
>
> > One can convert from SC to TC and vice versa via the Services menu in
> > one's Application menu.
>
> Hmm, I don't see it? Here's an example with updated Office 2011's
> Word's new document and its Services menu options: http://i.imgur.com/b1xLS.png
> ... This was in the updated Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).

This is a Word 2011 limitation, I think

This works fine in Pages or Mail

John

Ant

Sep 24, 2012, 9:11:25 AM9/24/12
to Chinese Mac
Oh, but it happens in PowerPoint and Office 2008 as well. :/

王龍駒

Sep 24, 2012, 8:05:53 PM9/24/12
to chine...@googlegroups.com
.
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012, Ant wrote:

> > > In Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2, how does one change
> between Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts?
> >
> > One doesn't change between SimpCHN and TradCHN
> fonts, rather one changes between keyboard input methods.
>
> I am not talking about the inputs. Just what is already shown
> on the screen. Hence, the highlights of texts/characters to
> change.

Right. You can't change from SC>TC or TC>SC by just changing fonts
(although there are some mainland input GB-show TC exceptions). You
have to convert them first, then they will show up as desired.

Not sure why MS Office doesn't provide for this.
.

Ant

Sep 24, 2012, 8:07:59 PM9/24/12
to Chinese Mac
> > between Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts?
>
> > > One doesn't change between SimpCHN and TradCHN
> > fonts, rather one changes between keyboard input methods.
>
> > I am not talking about the inputs. Just what is already shown
> > on the screen. Hence, the highlights of texts/characters to
> > change.
>
> Right.  You can't change from SC>TC or TC>SC by just changing fonts
> (although there are some mainland input GB-show TC exceptions).  You
> have to convert them first, then they will show up as desired.

Oh.

> Not sure why MS Office doesn't provide for this.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder why. What do you guys use/do for Word
documents, PowerPoint slides, for this Chinese characters interchanges?

Kerim Friedman

Sep 24, 2012, 8:18:46 PM9/24/12
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Many of us use Wenlin (that's what I use), but you can also use Google Translate for free. Note, it is generally easier to go from TC to SC than the other way around.

kerim

Associate Professor
Department of Indigenous Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
教授國立東華大學民族文化學系

Kerim Friedman

Sep 24, 2012, 8:19:04 PM9/24/12
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Many of us use Wenlin (that's what I use), but you can also use Google Translate for free. Note, it is generally easier to go from TC to SC than the other way around.

kerim

王龍駒

Sep 24, 2012, 8:59:05 PM9/24/12
to chine...@googlegroups.com
.
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012, Ant wrote:

> > Not sure why MS Office doesn't provide for this.
>
> Hmm, interesting. I wonder why. What do you guys use/do
> for Word documents, PowerPoint slides, for this Chinese
> characters interchanges?

Depends on quantity/amount of hassle, I suppose. The simplest might
be getting NeoOffice and working in that. Interestingly, NeoOffice
allows use of the ChineseTextConverting Service (note: I'm still
using 10.5.8!), but OpenOffice does not (see attached Grabs).

A little bit more involved would be to copy the character(s) you want
converted into TextEdit, convert using Services, then Copy-Paste back.
If you've got a whole SimpCHN document that you need converted, copy
all, paste in TextEdit (RTF), then paste back. Some formatting may be
lost.
.
OpenOffice.jpg
NeoOffice.jpg

Ant

Sep 30, 2012, 5:49:10 PM9/30/12
to Chinese Mac
This works decently, but annoying and tedious. Don't Chinese people
use Office? ;)