Checkstyle needs your feedback on Java 8 and JavaDoc support

Roman Ivanov

Feb 8, 2014, 4:15:33 PM2/8/14
to check...@googlegroups.com

Hello Checkstyle User,

Java 8 is about to release. Checkstyle crashes on Java 8 code due to new syntax changes. Unfortunately ANTLR grammar update is not a simple task, and none of our tiny development team can handle it before Java8 is released or even this year.

I decided to file the proposal: https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/wiki/Checkstyle-GSoC-2014-Project-Ideas to Google Summer Of Code 2014 in order to find talented students who can focus/work on this tasks for some period of time.

All I need/ask from you is either of the following:

- 1 question survey, without registration - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MNFHYSJ ;

- if you represent organization that participate in GSoC 2014 and could give us support vote please let me know .

For us it is required to understand how much you need these features.

Please reshare this request to other developers who use Checkstyle.

Thanks,

Roman Ivanov

Csaba Kozák

Oct 20, 2014, 1:24:26 PM10/20/14
to check...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

We at AndroidAnnotations suffer from the @return problem in annotations method.

Roman Ivanov

Nov 2, 2014, 12:25:33 AM11/2/14
to check...@googlegroups.com
Hi Csaba Kozák,

with detailed description of the problem.

thanks,
Roman Ivanov

Csaba Kozák

Nov 22, 2014, 6:41:33 AM11/22/14
to check...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Actually there is already a detailed issue in SF. Should i copy that to GH?

Roman Ivanov

Nov 22, 2014, 11:23:05 AM11/22/14
to Csaba Kozák, check...@googlegroups.com
Hi Csaba,

Thanks for pointing to the problem.
We intentionally do not move old Javadoc Checks problems to GH as we completed new approach of Javadoc parsing base on grammar instead of unreliable and error prone regexp approach.

We did not re-implement all old Check to new use grammar, sorry. But we will do for sure.
For now please stop using that Checks or put that to suppression.
We will not spend time to fix regexp based Checks - it is waste of time.

I could receive from you PR for Check if you are interested to fix that problem asap.

thanks,
Roman Ivanov

Csaba Kozák

Nov 22, 2014, 1:59:44 PM11/22/14
to Roman Ivanov, check...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

Thanks for the quick answer. I already turned off those checks.

I would love to see this problem fixed, but i have zero knowledge on the Checkstyle codebase, and also limited time.
I quickly looked at the JavadocMethodCheck.java and it seems that totally uses the regex-based checks. I guess a more experienced Checkstyle contributor would rewrite that with less effort.

Regards,
Csaba