Action Required to move to new Chattlab email list

Jeff Johnson

Jan 20, 2018, 10:56:21 PM1/20/18
to chattlab-list
Friends of Chattlab,

This list is about to cease receiving notifications from Chattlab.  We have lost the administration control of it, and have been unsuccessful in getting it back. This means spammers could join, send spam, and we would not be able to remove them as they keep sending spam to you.  This hasn't happened yet, so we want to take action before it does.

So to replace the old list, we have a new list that you will need to subscribe to keep getting notifications. To subscribe, send an email to:

chattlab+subscribe@chattlab.org.

If you are worried about this being a phishing attempt, we welcome you to go to the chattlab.org site, go to the wiki link, select "How to Help Chattlab" and scroll down to the public email list section, and you'll see very similar instructions as is in this email.

Thanks,
Jeff
Chatt*lab Makerspace.

Quantum Potato

Jan 21, 2018, 11:05:33 AM1/21/18
to Chattlab Chattanooga
I don't have a problem with moving to a new list. But please explain "lost administration control of it" - I don't understand tho this could happen.

Jason Brown

Jan 21, 2018, 1:21:59 PM1/21/18
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
The google account that created it no longer exists, google support says there is no way to recover administrative access. Therefore we are switching to a list under the domain we own (ChattLab.org) instead of generic google groups.

Sent from my iPad

Jeff Johnson

Jan 21, 2018, 10:03:33 PM1/21/18
to chattlab-list, Jason Brown
The person that had set it up, dropped their access and we can't seem to get it back, even after a lot of emails to google.  We've had this issue for quite awhile actually and are just now getting around to dealing with it.

Maybe Jason can explain it better.

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:56:21 PM UTC-5, Jeff Johnson wrote:
[...]

Mike Harrison

Jan 22, 2018, 7:34:14 AM1/22/18
to chattl...@googlegroups.com, Jason Brown

> On Jan 21, 2018, at 10:03 PM, Jeff Johnson <jeffj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The person that had set it up, dropped their access and we can't seem to get it back, even after a lot of emails to google. We've had this issue for quite awhile actually and are just now getting around to dealing with it.

Ya’ll are just spinning it wrong. It’s an upgrade. More private, better security, a mailing list address Chatt*Lab controls... blah.. blah.. blah..

We’ll be able to converse about making telephorensic, ion powered, bluetooth enabled, 4d printed, art waldo’s without Google stealing our ideas. ;)

Jeff Johnson

Jan 22, 2018, 8:28:48 AM1/22/18
to chattlab-list, Jason Brown
+1