New to the area, checking to see what's happening at Chattlab

David Randolph

Aug 5, 2014, 10:00:42 PM8/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
I just moved to Knoxville from San Francisco and I wanted to see what hackerspaces are in the area. Mainly I'm looking for the community more than the tools. I run a bunch of different 3d printers and a laser cutter and a couple of CNC mills out of my house and I've also built several combat robots, my last one was Super Fluffy Pink Bunny From The Land Of Candy And Rainbows. So I do a lot of different things but all of them revolve around the general maker mentality. So I was curious about whats going on. The website seems pretty sparse and not much activity here so I wasn't sure how active the group is.

Jeff Johnson

Aug 5, 2014, 10:10:07 PM8/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Hey David.  We've been live for about a year, have a space and are growing.  We'd love to have you at our space during one of our public meetings, but have you checked out Knox Makers?  They're right next to you.

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM, David Randolph <drando...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just moved to Knoxville from San Francisco and I wanted to see what hackerspaces are in the area. Mainly I'm looking for the community more than the tools. I run a bunch of different 3d printers and a laser cutter and a couple of CNC mills out of my house and I've also built several combat robots, my last one was Super Fluffy Pink Bunny From The Land Of Candy And Rainbows. So I do a lot of different things but all of them revolve around the general maker mentality. So I was curious about whats going on. The website seems pretty sparse and not much activity here so I wasn't sure how active the group is.

Tim Youngblood

Aug 5, 2014, 10:12:56 PM8/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
David,

Nice to meet you. Knoxmakers.org is one of the two makerspaces there in the KNOX. They both have a good rep. Definitely check them out. If you are ever in Chattanooga be sure and look us up especially October 11th for our Mini Maker Faire which will feature our very own homegrown battle bot arena. You are invited to compete with the Bunny as we also have another well of cuteness in our very own Furbie Destroyer of Worlds (by Kit Buckley) that features the irresistible eyes of cuteness that lure competitors into a coma of adorableness from whence they never recover.

See you soon,
Tim

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM, David Randolph <drando...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just moved to Knoxville from San Francisco and I wanted to see what hackerspaces are in the area. Mainly I'm looking for the community more than the tools. I run a bunch of different 3d printers and a laser cutter and a couple of CNC mills out of my house and I've also built several combat robots, my last one was Super Fluffy Pink Bunny From The Land Of Candy And Rainbows. So I do a lot of different things but all of them revolve around the general maker mentality. So I was curious about whats going on. The website seems pretty sparse and not much activity here so I wasn't sure how active the group is.

__________

Tim Youngblood
Chatt*lab Makerspace
Chattanooga TN

Follow our Community on Google+!

Don't just do something, stand there

David Randolph

Aug 5, 2014, 10:24:05 PM8/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
I doubt you would want SFPBFLOCAR in your arena, it's a 220lbs wedge. :) I found you guys through the makerfare linking so I'll be down for that. I'll be sure to check out knoxmakers, thanks for the heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUeHtoMuOEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1e6unH1JJs

p4194997.jpg

Jeff Johnson

Aug 5, 2014, 10:50:40 PM8/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Being from San Fran, did you ever bump into Mitch Altman?  My neighbor hosted him and some guys from Make.  He was going to stay at my place but the wife was a little concerned so my neighbor Galen took the fellows in, which was just as well as Galen had a lot more cool toys in his lab than I.  This was during Mitch's tour through Louisville several years ago.

Interesting fellow.  We tried to get him to try bacon, but he held tight to the vegan diet.

Jeff Johnson

Aug 5, 2014, 10:51:35 PM8/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Oh, the other guys were Jimmy (of LOL shield fame) and Mike Metz, an Orielly photographer.

Jason Brown

Sep 5, 2014, 10:08:41 AM9/5/14
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

It was nice to meet you at the con, and thanks for helping me carry stuff!  At some point soon I would like to discuss the plasma cutter water table and laser sources we touched on briefly. You should also come down and check out the space sometime, just let me know and I can arrange a tour. We recently cleaned!

--Jason Brown