Board game organizer on MAKE

Jason Brown

Jul 29, 2015, 9:47:19 PM7/29/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
This looks really neat for many games. I wonder if it could be done with pegboard for modularity and configurability?

Settlers of Catan Board Game Box Organizer | Make:
http://makezine.com/projects/board-game-box-organizer-keep-pieces-tidy/

--Jason

Jeff Johnson

Jul 29, 2015, 10:19:41 PM7/29/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Your CNC would be perfect for that, LOL.  While we're moving down to Chatt, I have several board games I can donate if you want a range of things to play with and document.  :-)

--Jason

Jason Brown

Jul 30, 2015, 9:04:20 AM7/30/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Play with yes,  document... not so much ;)

Lee Walker is our resident board game expert though http://www.meetup.com/Chattanooga-Board-Game-Club/

Lee, what do you think of pegs for sorting?  Custom cut boards or something like pegboard for easy reconfiguration?

Jeff Johnson

Jul 30, 2015, 10:01:05 AM7/30/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
By document I was thinking pictures for the website.

Lee Walker

Jul 30, 2015, 10:39:41 AM7/30/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
>Play with yes, document... not so much ;)
>
>Lee Walker is our resident board game expert though http://www.meetup.com/Chattanooga->Board-Game-Club/

>Lee, what do you think of pegs for sorting? Custom cut boards or something like pegboard for easy reconfiguration?

>On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Jeff Johnson <jeffj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Your CNC would be perfect for that, LOL. While we're moving down to Chatt, I have several board games I can donate if you want a range of things to play with and document. :-)
>

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Jason Brown <jeb...@masterforge.com> wrote:
>>
>> This looks really neat for many games. I wonder if it could be done with pegboard for modularity and configurability?
>>
>> Settlers of Catan Board Game Box Organizer | Make:
>> http://makezine.com/projects/board-game-box-organizer-keep-pieces-tidy/

Everyone is welcome to play board games with us. Next meet is this Tuesday
in my office in the BDC.

Jason, I really don't like peg sorting, the parts are too easily
dislodged. Cutouts are much better.

I've been thinking of buying a laser cutter to start a game related
business on the side.
There is a company who makes these game holder things - Broken Token
(search on Amazon to see what they do). All laser cut wood to store games
pieces. Very nice, but tend to run $30 each.

Does anyone have experience with laser cutters who could point me in the
right direction? I see cheap Chinese ones, that look a little odd (You must
buy from ebay, and pick it up yourself from the port when it's delivered).
A couple of American made ones that look very good, but are a lot more
expensive.
The software seems to be all over the place too. Use Corel Draw, use some
weird custom winXP thing... etc

Any one who has used/bought a cutter who could give advice, it would be
appreciated. Maybe a wooden Catan set will be in it for you :)

Lee

--
Lee Walker
Principal Engineer

Code Journeymen LLC
100 Cherokee Blvd
Suite #332,
Chattanooga TN,
37405

Jeff Johnson

Jul 30, 2015, 11:44:40 AM7/30/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
If you were to get a laser cutter and make it available to the space, I'll throw in $500.  Laser cutters are AWESOME.

david.a...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2015, 11:52:18 AM7/30/15
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Get the most powerful expensive laser cutter u can afford?

I've used $3000 from China laser cutters at Boston South End Technology Center fab lab and High Low Tech MIT Media lab, and also expensive American made laser cutters in architecture school and at Microsoft Research.

My experience is that the cheap ones are totally great for light duty purposes, like cutting paper card boards or fabric. But if you want to cut 1/4" acrylic for example, it will take like 10+ runs on 100% power 2% speed to cut through it. You know what I mean? HOURS to cut
If you want to cut 1/8" wood it may still take frustratingly long time to cut

Expensive laser cutters can consistently cut through materials

In terms of software i think it's just what ever works? At Boston fab lab it was some driver program? that takes svg file format, High Low Tech it was Corel draw., architecture school plot straight from autoCAD, Microsoft it was ai file imported into Visio

Laser cut card:

image2.JPG