Password-protected repositories for compile, run?

Lucas Werkmeister

Nov 5, 2015, 6:56:41 PM11/5/15
to ceylon-users
I can compile to a password-protected output repository with ceylon compile --out=… --user=… --pass=…, but as far as I can tell there’s no way to use a similarly protected input repository for compile or run… is that true?

Use case: I’d like to test a Herd upload before publishing it – in my particular case, compile+upload the module from a current master installation, then download+test it on another system using a release install. I can do that manually by wgetting the modules into the modules folder, but that’s cumbersome (two files per module for JVM, four for JS).

Tako Schotanus

Nov 5, 2015, 7:47:23 PM11/5/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Wait those upload folders aren't publicly accessible?
I thought the username/password was only so you could write to it but then pass the URL to someone else to test it.

-Tako

On 6 November 2015 at 00:56, Lucas Werkmeister <lucas.we...@googlemail.com> wrote:
I can compile to a password-protected output repository with ceylon compile --out=… --user=… --pass=…, but as far as I can tell there’s no way to use a similarly protected input repository for compile or run… is that true?

Use case: I’d like to test a Herd upload before publishing it – in my particular case, compile+upload the module from a current master installation, then download+test it on another system using a release install. I can do that manually by wgetting the modules into the modules folder, but that’s cumbersome (two files per module for JVM, four for JS).

Lucas Werkmeister

Nov 8, 2015, 12:48:20 PM11/8/15
to ceylon-users, ta...@codejive.org
No, you get an HTTP 401: Unauthorized error. Perhaps the Herd upload repositories should be globally readable (not sure), but apart from that, there definitely should be a way to read from password-protected repositories, no?

Workaround I’m using now to verify that the ceylon.ast release built on recent master still works on the 1.2 release:

for mod in core redhat create samples; do
    wget
\

--force-directories \
        --no-host-directories \
        --cut-dirs=3 \
        --user=lucaswerkmeister \
        --password='█' \
        https://modules.ceylon-lang.org/uploads/11102/repo/ceylon/ast/$mod/1.2.0/ceylon.ast.$mod-1.2.0{.{car,js}{,.sha1},-model.js{,.sha1}}
done

Run that in modules, and wget will populate the local repository from the remote one. (See here for more details.)

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 9, 2015, 5:00:03 AM11/9/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
So that's an open question still. I think it would be valid to make uploads accessible by anyone on the basis that they are here to make things public anyway, so it may be of low value to protect reading to it.

As for the password, the --pass flag only applies to the output repo, since there can only be one. There can be more than one input repo and so it'd be unclear which password that flag is meant for. I believe you can set it in the config though. Otherwise you can say --rep http://user:pa...@modules.ceylon-lang.org/uploads/XXX. That should work.

Stéphane Épardaud