OBR - Just In Case

Tako Schotanus

Nov 15, 2015, 9:23:02 PM11/15/15
to ceylon-dev
Just in case somebody hadn't noticed yet, the OBR is live!

So simply do:

    git clone g...@github.com:ceylon/ceylon.git

In the same folder where you now have all your `ceylon-xxxx` projects, read the README and you should be good to go.

IMPORTANT: I have NOT pushed the necessary changes to the build scripts of the SDK and IDE projects yet! So right now you can't build those yet with the OBR.

I'm simply waiting for an OK from everybody on the OBR before pushing those changes,

ADVICE: Move all the "old" projects to a backup folder somewhere so you can be *certain* that you're not accidentally testing old code somewhere somehow.

Have fun!
-Tako

Tako Schotanus

Nov 15, 2015, 9:29:05 PM11/15/15
to ceylon-dev
Well actually, f-it, I decided to push the necessary changes for the SDK anyway, it's just a single commit so easy to roll back if needed.

-Tako

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 16, 2015, 6:12:39 AM11/16/15
to ceylon-dev
Guide for Eclipse users:

- Delete ceylon-compiler, ceylon-dist, ceylon-dist-osgi, ceylon-runtime, ceylon-spec, ceylon-common, ceylon-model, ceylon-module-resolver, ceylon-runtime, ceylon-js, ceylon.language (not on disk)
- Import Project "ceylon"
-- Make it "Search for Nested Projects"
-- Remove those that start with `@[eclipse.project.name]`
-- Remove `ceylon-dist-osgi-embedded-repository`
-- Finish

That's it!

Stéphane Épardaud

Tako Schotanus

Nov 16, 2015, 7:35:42 AM11/16/15
to ceylon-dev
Thanks Stef!

Btw, is anyone against turning the repo into a single Eclipse project?

It would make it easier to move certain things to the root of the project (like having just a single "/lib" folder for example)

-Tako

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 16, 2015, 8:03:01 AM11/16/15
to ceylon-dev
I'm not _against_ it, but having them separate means it's easier to check that one project does not depend on another by mistake.

Stéphane Épardaud

Tako Schotanus

Nov 16, 2015, 8:18:53 AM11/16/15
to ceylon-dev
That's true.

Does Eclipse handle nested projects? Never tried that.

-Tako

Daniel López

Nov 16, 2015, 8:49:43 AM11/16/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
One would usually need to import the main project and then import the subprojects inside as independent projects to handle them separately. One can then use Workspaces, for example, so the search results do not return multiple hits (some not really useable).

You can then build each project separately, while testing individual changes, and then use the main one to make the global build.

Having them separate makes it easier and faster to handle them, test things separately, IMHO. It is not as straightforward, but hey, they are separate projects, outside eclipse, for a reason.

Just my 2ec, I just happen to be working now with a multi-module project in Eclipse ;).
D.

Luke deGruchy

Nov 21, 2015, 3:02:19 PM11/21/15
to ceylon-dev, ta...@codejive.org
I have two scripts to build the Eclipse plugin with the OBR

1) Clean slate (delete everything, re-clone and build)

rm -rf *ceylon*
git clone https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon
cd ceylon
ant setup-sdk setup-ide dist sdk eclipse

2) Update (build on top of a previously successfully built plugin)
cd ceylon
ant clean-all update-all dist sdk eclipse

I tested both today and they work, although there's no way for me to be 100% certain that the update script didn't leave at least one of the components stale.

Are these both correct, or should I change something in either one?

Tako Schotanus

Nov 21, 2015, 4:15:05 PM11/21/15
to ceylon-dev
Looks correct Luke