Meeting Announcement: “New Science enabled by New Technologies in the SKA Era”, April 8-12 2019

Eduard Kontar

Aug 5, 2018, 5:13:41 PM8/5/18
to CESRA_C...@googlegroups.com, swg...@skatelescope.org

Dear Colleagues,

Please note the announcement that you might have seen via other channels...

best wishes

Eduard

We are very pleased to announce that the 2019 SKA Science Meeting, entitled “New Science enabled by New Technologies in the SKA Era”, will be held at the new SKA Headquarters at Jodrell Bank on April 8th to 12th, 2019.

The week will be divided into a 3-day science meeting, followed by a 2-day key science workshop. The science meeting will focus on ongoing research with the SKA pathfinders and precursors, as well as other radio facilities. In particular, it will look at the new science enabled by new technologies (e.g. phase-array feeds) and new techniques (e.g. data science) that have been recently developed and/or are under active development. Additionally, we will examine the new approaches necessitated by the need to handle ever increasing data volumes, and to operate in increasingly hostile radio frequency interference environments. The above considerations are relevant to all of the SKA Phase 1’s high priority science objectives. The last 2 days will follow on from previous key science workshops where teams intending to propose for key science projects will continue their preparations. Furthermore, both the science meeting and key science workshop will inform what questions and data challenges should be tackled going forward in preparation for the even larger scale projects that will be undertaken with the SKA.

The meeting website, which we have launched today, is accessible at: https://indico.skatelescope.org/event/467, and provides information on registration, accommodation, travel, the conference dinner, etc. In brief, registration is now open and the registration fee is £200 per person. This includes the cost of coffee breaks and lunches during the week, the conference dinner, as well as bus transport from nearby hotels to Jodrell Bank. The conference dinner will take place at the nearby De Vere Cranage Estate. We also intend to provide childcare to those participants who would like to avail themselves of it; we request that participants interested in this contact the Events Organising Committee as soon as possible to help us understand the scale of the demand for this.

Please circulate this announcement to your colleagues and note the following dates concerning the meeting.

Important dates:

Today: First announcement, registration and abstract submission opens

September 10th: Second announcement

October 26th: Registration and abstract submission deadline

December 7th: Talk/poster decisions from SOC communicated

April 8th, 9th, 10th: Science Meeting Days

April 11th, 12th: Key Science Workshop Days

Kindest Regards,

Dr. Evan Keane,

on behalf of the SOC.

University of Glasgow: The Times Scottish University of the Year 2018
Science Meeting 2019 - Poster.jpg