Cloud Back Up

Amy Hamill

Mar 2, 2021, 11:47:24 AM3/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi, just wondering what cloud back up service do most schools use?
Amy

Paul de Lacy

Mar 2, 2021, 2:13:58 PM3/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our primary school uses Google Drive via G-Suite for Education/Google Workspace.

Regards

Paul

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 16:47, 'Amy Hamill' via CESI-list <cesi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi, just wondering what cloud back up service do most schools use?
Amy

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CANaJN1dGGFajo-hvKN4Q_PoHqViAaoLU9dR68xuZNEo6riH2MA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Paul de Lacy
Special Education Teacher

G P Ashe

Mar 2, 2021, 3:29:32 PM3/2/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Cloud backup should really only be used in conjunction with local and/or off-site accessible backups

If you rely solely on cloud backup then you are creating a single point of failure in your disaster recovery strategy.

KeepItSafe offer a wide range of solutions

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 16:47, 'Amy Hamill' via CESI-list <cesi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi, just wondering what cloud back up service do most schools use?
Amy

Chris Reina

Mar 3, 2021, 6:28:32 AM3/3/21
to G P Ashe, cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amy,

I agree entirely with Greg.

My “best practice” backup strategy would be a triumvirate.

1) Have a daily backup onsite (using 2 external hard drives)
This should be every 2nd day (Mon, Wed, Fri) & (Tues, Thurs)

This means that should the worst happen - you’re less than 24 hours away from recovery

2) Have a weekly offsite backup - (using 1 external hard drive)
This should be used only in the case of failure in the daily backup

3) Cloud Backup
This should be used only in the event of the worst happening - failure in both Daily and Weekly backup

To answer your question simply - I use Backblaze, (www.backblaze.com) which is a paid for service (about €6.20/month) - however… it gives unlimited storage and the ability to restore a single file (rather than a whole drive)

Beware online storage that is free - often you pay the price by having to restore the WHOLE drive/backup rather than a single file…

Depending on your needs - I also wholly agree with Paul - you can use Google Drive (GSuite for EDU) which gives unlimited storage for education users. (there have been rumblings that this may change as it has for Business users - but not yet)

Many thanks!

Chris

Ré Draiochta . Coolcaslagh . Killarney . County Kerry . Ireland . V93 R1W5
WEB: www.teachtech.support   •   MOBILE: 087-2685020

Imogen Bertin

Mar 3, 2021, 6:40:54 AM3/3/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Chris, I concur completely with your strategy except... I once tried backblaze, but after I'd signed up, it told me it was going to take 6 weeks to complete the first backup... and it didn't have a European server storage location option from the GDPR point of view. So I gave up and cancelled.

Has any of that changed in recent times to your knowledge? Happy to try Backblaze again if it has, as we may finally be getting our NBI 1 Gb FTTH broadband connection sometime in the next few months!

Imogen

--

Reagrove, Minane Bridge, Co. Cork, Ireland P17 KH32
Tel: +353 87 2655261 Email: imo...@ctc.ie

Chris Reina

Mar 3, 2021, 2:27:49 PM3/3/21
to Imogen Bertin, cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Imogen,

6 weeks is a bit long! 🤣

Also - while of course the initial backup would take quite awhile (I think my 500gb drive took about 6-8 hours initially) it didn’t impact on any way with the performance of the machine.

After that - the backups are incremental, so each backup is very minor. I do give them kudos for no impact on performance of a machine while backing up.

Roll on the Fibre! We got it here about a year ago and it’s fantastic. (Except Eir are the provider… but you can’t have everything)

Many thanks!

Chris

Ré Draiochta . Coolcaslagh . Killarney . County Kerry . Ireland . V93 R1W5
WEB: www.teachtech.support   •   MOBILE: 087-2685020

Denis Dennehy

Mar 3, 2021, 2:27:49 PM3/3/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Chris morning a quick question - on Saturday I was hugely intrigued by your deft camera work... I write to clarify did you/ do you put the power from power pack into android connection did I see that correctly and is that ok it won’t blow my microbit
Regards
Denis