G-Suite of Education - Just joined up!

已查看 92 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

mforristal

未读,
2020年5月27日 05:28:332020/5/27
收件人 CESI-list
Hi All,

I am the ICT Coordinator of my school, and recently joined  G Suite of Education, I bought a school domain, registered it and verified it with G Suite, so all set to go. However, as administrator, I'm a little at sea as to the next step, and setting up the most suitable organisational units for our school. We are a school with a  walking principal (who is not tech savvy)  6 mainstream  teachers, 5 SEN teachers ( as we have an Autistic Unit) and 5 SNA's. I have looked at videos, but sometimes its  easier to speak to someone! Our school plan to use G Suite as of September.
Can anyone make any recommendations or suggestions on the best way to organise our school?
Many thanks
Mairead

Clare Wallace

未读,
2020年5月27日 05:34:212020/5/27
收件人 cesi...@googlegroups.com
Im 2nd level
But would you go
Teachers
SNA
Ancillary staff
BOM
Students - further break students into class groups

Id recommend setting up BOM members - makes meetings so much easier

Hth
Clare

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/a325ce92-1a8b-43ea-8720-73c7eeb53a91%40googlegroups.com.

Jennifer Bratten

未读,
2020年5月27日 06:47:392020/5/27
收件人 cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mairead,

I became the ICT coordinator in December and GSuite is our platform. It is very user friendly and I have to say they are so helpful at the "help desk" if you have any issues.

I agree with Clare. Start by setting up emails for staff and students (they are known as members). You can create emails in bulk for students using csv files (excel sheets). I had no idea how to set these up but there was step by step instructions to do it and it was easy once I got the hang of it. I watched some you tube clips too. Create a password manually for the students (the one they generate can be impossible to remember)and they can change it if you want them to create their own -you may not want to do that.

Once you have staff emails set up you can set up groups. So all staff, SEN teachers etc, if means staff and management can send information to particular groups so not everyone is getting an influx of  irrelevant info. You can also create groups for parents - they don't have to have a gmail account. Maybe handy going forward.

Finally, google classroom and google hangouts (video calling) are also available through GSuite so you could start using that as a platform for staff to share content to the students, have staff meetings etc., particularly if blended learning may be a possibility in September. I find GC very user friendly although you might be using a different platform as it stands. We just found the unified approach was simpler for staff.

Just a few things to remember. You will have to create an email for any new staff that come in e.g. substitutes and remove them from any groups you put them in when they leave. When you create groups you can customise the access of the groups as in only management can send emails to that group or you can allow all staff to email a group.

Sorry now if that was too basic but I know it is the stuff I found I needed to know when I took over the role.

Jennifer Bratten

On Wed 27 May 2020, 10:28 mforristal, <mforr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

DATA PROTECTION: We’re processing data belonging to you i.e. your email address & name in the Public Interest. For more information please review our Privacy Statement by clicking here.

Hassan Dabbagh

未读,
2020年5月28日 03:01:292020/5/28
收件人 cesi...@googlegroups.com
The answers to this question seems to be well covered, great notes :)

--
Hassan Dabbagh
Network Administrator

Robert Chaney

未读,
2020年5月28日 04:40:592020/5/28
收件人 CESI-list
All good points made.
Set up your organisations as suggested above, and decide on a format for email addresses: staff are usually fairly obvious: jbloggs@.... or similar
But think carefully about student email format (assuming you are intending to go down that route)
In particular, to make life easier organising them, consider a format that involves a year code, e.g. for current 1st Class students (who will leave primary in 2025), maybe consider something like 25001, 25002,... if you intend to not use student names. You want some sort of identifier

Use of Groups is a REALLY useful feature, for sending email notifications.
One of GSuites great low-tech features, with great little customisations in the settings, like automatically inserting Prefixs to email subject lines: e.g. "[Teachers] End-of-Year reports".
Just make sure that you set up email footers correctly, and ensure careful consideration for the opt-out buttons that are inserted at the bottom of emails (just look at CESI-group emails- it has allsorts of options). You want to ensure that people can NOT remove themselves from certain groups.

Happy to advise further if you were to need help.

Robert Chaney

mforristal

未读,
2020年5月28日 05:10:432020/5/28
收件人 CESI-list
Thanks Clare, sounds great,
Mairead

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

mforristal

未读,
2020年5月28日 05:23:002020/5/28
收件人 CESI-list
Thankyou Jennifer. Its not too basic at all. It all seems daunting right now, but once I start I'm sure Ill get the hang of it.
Another question in terms of the students, do you need to get consent from parents for the google services?  Did you find that the core services available from google were enough for the kids (gmail, , calendar and classroom).
Did you set up all the kids in your school?
Kind regards
Mairead

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 11:47:39 UTC+1, jbratten wrote:
[...]

2020年5月28日 05:38:392020/5/28
收件人 CESI-list
Thanks Robert, that was very helpful. I do hope to add students eventually and I think I will use your  suggested organisation format when I go down that road. In terms of teachers emails , I assume Ill make up staff emails, rather than ask teachers?
Also, is it best to give access to staff to all google services, and only allow students access core services?
I feel I have alot of youtube G Suite tutorials to watch yet before I move forward!!
Thanks
Mairead

Chris Reina

未读,
2020年5月28日 06:24:232020/5/28
收件人 mforristal、cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mairead,

Just a note if you’re going to setup student emails (which is a good idea) - if you’re using using Aladdin - you can directly link Aladdin to GSuite.

The benefit of this is the emails for teachers are taken directly from Aladdin, setup automatically and login details (password) are the same as Aladdin… also - if you change something in Aladdin, it changes in GSuite.

This is also true for students - so it can either link directly (with no user intervention) or you can export students as a spreadsheet, make appropriate changes to naming convention/format and upload in bulk to GSuite and GSuite will automagically create all address’ for you.

As Robert (and others) have mentioned - it’s a good idea to create a naming convention for students - as there can be many “mary.murphy@*.ie” who attend school in different years/classes, etc.

Let me know if you need more help - happy to chat. (It may be from the garden in the sun however!)

Cheers,

Chris

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/f9181e5a-c76f-49a2-9370-d34776265ef2%40googlegroups.com.

Scoil na gCailíní

未读,
2020年5月29日 05:37:352020/5/29
收件人 cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mairead.
I am a little ahead of you on this journey. The groups aspect is a lifesaver -it’s one address to type to send  all staff  emails

Can I  interrupt this discussion with a quest for those more experienced with Gsuite ?
* how can I ensure safety  if I set up student emails - ( primary)
Can they  emsil each other in the domain ?

Thanks in advance
Paula.

On Wed 27 May 2020 at 10:28, mforristal <mforr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Robert Chaney

未读,
2020年5月29日 05:46:082020/5/29
收件人 CESI-list
You can set rules for which users in which organisational units can send or receive emails from which other users, organisational units, or domains(outside).
See these two help posts:

Robert Chaney

On Friday, 29 May 2020 10:37:35 UTC+1, Scoil na gCailíní wrote:
[...]

Edward Kelly

未读,
2020年5月29日 06:44:492020/5/29
收件人 cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mairead,
I am creating a G Suite course for Teachers - you are welcome to log into it.
It is a work in progress - still some content need and the gamification elements, progression bar, badges, popups etc are not fully in operation.
Scroll down to 4.1 - it´ll gradually improve over the next week or so.
E Kelly

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/35b38925-e39a-4835-9acb-f2360acba91f%40googlegroups.com.

Mairead Forristal

未读,
2020年5月30日 02:52:542020/5/30
收件人 cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou everyone for all your help, very appreciative for The advice. Yes Edward, I just joined your G Suite course!
Mairéad

回复全部
回复作者
转发