Wireless on wheels for outside school wifi access

John Heffernan

Oct 16, 2020, 9:36:26 AM10/16/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

With an increased likely hood that another lockdown may occur, I want to share what Louisa County Public Schools in central Virginia did to tackle the issue of students not having access to broadband in a rural county.

They also identified local businesses offering free wifi e.g Dairy Queen etc.
While the solar panels may not be the best solution, I imagine a lot of locations would be close enough to a socket to enable it to power the technology.

John

CESI Chair

Oct 16, 2020, 11:21:52 AM10/16/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Definitely outside the box thinking! Thanks a John.

Adrienne

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CAK2GHYr5VWxMDQ761BhTyquuahn6GmU-Cd_WtWqFp7Sw9VAb1Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Denis Dennehy

Oct 17, 2020, 6:06:03 AM10/17/20
to cesi-list
Hi Just want to say I rescued one of Four 'clapped out, scrap heap ready, HP laptops yesterday'..need to hook up tp school wifi couldn't do yesterday as nobody to get the access code from in school... but it has a Chromebook screen and is looking for the wifi code... was talking to my new friend Antonio head of compuserve European div, actually he was more of a 'midwife' hand holding and all that good stuff no commononer garder CESI help for me, I went that high I was dizzy! Ok I first came across NEverware on CESi list (begrudgingly credit the source lol)

Ok while I used the home free software.. How do I access a licence for laptops ultimately I want to give these to students in SChool, above board etc etc ok maybe talk to Antonio

John that looks like a cool project (Louisa) wonder would it work in Ireland on the sunny winter days? I wonder where I might get a 'lend' of the
more expensive bits?? Who deals with that kind of stuff? in an Irish context I wonder?

Regards & Thanks John for the link

Denis

Denis Dennehy

Oct 18, 2020, 1:50:10 PM10/18/20
to cesi-list
Hi John, I had a look through the admin console theres huge volume of info there.. wanted to highlight number of teachers using and their frequency of use is there any support from GSuite available on how to pull down that information
Regards Denis

John Heffernan

Oct 19, 2020, 6:02:57 PM10/19/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Speaking from experience, loads of sunshine in the fall in Virginia. However, I imagine that they could be located close to a location that would have a power supply e.g community centre, church carpark etc.

Imogen Bertin

Oct 20, 2020, 5:55:56 AM10/20/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I just tested the Unifi Wifi I put in with help from CESI members into our old National School (1840s, now the local community centre and theatre). Pleased to report 30 Mb/s from all the car park spaces at the glass front! (but not at the side of the theatre, where there is a modern insulated wall). CESI is a gift that keeps giving, as I would not have thought to advertise this fast free WiFi for locals to use during the lockdown, in an area with poor broadband, without this thread. Many thanks indeed...

--

Reagrove, Minane Bridge, Co. Cork, Ireland P17 KH32
Tel: +353 87 2655261 Email: imo...@ctc.ie

Power

Oct 20, 2020, 9:49:23 AM10/20/20
to CESI-list
Unifi do outdoor and long range APs

Imogen Bertin

Oct 20, 2020, 11:02:45 AM10/20/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Yes they do Con, but the Unifi indoor ones are so good they even work in the car park! I went down with a heavy heart trying to figure out how I was going to move one of the APs to near the car park, but in the event, I did not need to do anything at all...!

Geraldine Raftery

Oct 20, 2020, 4:32:53 PM10/20/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi