Shared hardware?

Greg Ashe

Jun 25, 2020, 4:05:27 AM6/25/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
So in the midst of a swirling fog of clarity from the DES what is the thinking on use of shared hardware - desktops in classroom, shared mobile devices, computer room desktops?

If the focus will be on santising & hygiene then surely use of such shared devices compromises this or at very least will require regular (and impractical) levels of sanitisation.

What are you planning to do?

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

NB Disclaimer Important: ​
Information in this email (including attachments) is confidential. It is intended for receipt and consideration only by the intended recipient. If you are not an addressee or intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, publication or copying of information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. Opinions expressed in this email may be personal to the author and are not necessarily the opinions of Glenstal Abbey or Glenstal Abbey School. If this email has been received by you in error we would be grateful if you could immediately notify the sender, and thereafter delete this e-mail from your system.

You are requested to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The author, as well as Glenstal Abbey and Glenstal Abbey School, accept no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses, malware or malicious software.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.​

Hassan Dabbagh

Jun 26, 2020, 6:20:55 AM6/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
After that post I just realised the issue is going to be huge in one of my schools that's using 200 shared devices........ my plan it to leave I.T. and take up surfing .
Great question I'd love to know what the plan will be

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CAO3QJDt3AMMJNmkwTTMa2hKp9Uzx6QONpgb4szV5Z5eCR5fkrQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Greg Ashe

Jun 26, 2020, 6:25:36 AM6/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Put your pension fund into Dettol Wipes before you hit the waves

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

Clare Wallace

Jun 26, 2020, 7:37:49 AM6/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
We have "trashed" this around - when I say we I mean me & the principal. Pity my poor principal -  I want a neatly packaged solution & in fairness there are none...

This is about more than computer labs, all practical rooms (science, wood, eng, hec) same....before I finally took at break (will be an earlier retun in august!) - we were at gloves, face masks & visers for students. Where they will be stored??? How will we get them??? Who will pay for them??? No clue and another consideration is that lockers are a nightmare for social distance & cleaning....

Anyway back early August and by then there will be guidance (i hope)

I might join ye sufing....

Greg Ashe

Jun 26, 2020, 7:50:22 AM6/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
The only thing that is neatly packaged are Dettol Wipes (-:

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

Laurence Cuffe

Jun 26, 2020, 10:27:36 AM6/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Here’s the solution: A self sanitising keyboard developed for a medical context.
 While the one off price may be a little daunting, there may be volume discounts.

More seriously, this is a problem which has been around in medical circles for a while, and I wonder if they have any good solutions?

Best
Laurence Cuffe

Chris Reina

Jun 26, 2020, 12:29:55 PM6/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Does it have clackly keys?

If so, the price is no problem. I’ll take 20 to start.

ryan.aengus

Jun 26, 2020, 4:40:48 PM6/26/20
to CESI-list

Laurence Cuffe

Jun 27, 2020, 3:21:26 AM6/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

On 26 Jun 2020, at 16:16, Chris Reina <ch...@teachtech.support> wrote:

Does it have clackly keys?

If so, the price is no problem. I’ll take 20 to start.

Hi Chris.
As this is the first time I have dealt with you commercially, I’m afraid I will need cash up front. That will be $39,980 + Vat, Duty, and Shipping.You can send the money to:
Laurence Cuffe, c/o  Surfside Beach bar, Surfside Beach, Wilhelminastraat 18, Oranjestad, Aruba.
The product is currently on back order, however as soon as I get word,
 in Aruba,
 that they have come in I will ensure that they are despatched to your chosen address.
Regards,
Laurence Cuffe.

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/1F1F06C9-684C-4FE6-8176-3958A4C19CA3%40me.com.

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

G P Ashe

Jun 27, 2020, 12:00:21 PM6/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Can I use my An Post Money Card to pay?

Paul Nugent

Jun 27, 2020, 1:10:35 PM6/27/20
to CESI-list
Hi All
I have heard that keyboards could be covered by each user (not environmentally friendly) but what about the 'mucky mouse'
What do you think?

Paul

Danny Murray

Jun 27, 2020, 3:29:57 PM6/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
We're giving a keyboard and mouse to every staff member. That way they can move around to the stationary students or use the staff work room by plugging in their own keyboard and mouse.

Cleaning of the keyboards ten times a day is a lovely aspiration but lets be real, it's not going to last.

The best system is no system. The best way to solve the shared keyboard problem is to remove the shared keyboard problem.

We took the keyboards out of 40 rooms so right there is 40 keyboards for staff. We got a few mini keyboards or wireless keyboards or mini wireless keyboards for those that wanted them. Most actually wanted full sized wired keyboards.

Hassan Dabbagh

Jun 27, 2020, 3:43:37 PM6/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
That’s a great idea Danny but what about
Plastic fitted / rubber keyboard and mouse covers per student rather full keyboards and Mice would that work? There could be a sanitization process at the end of the day .

Students pickup a cover as they come into the room and leave it back in an OUtbox type of place for sanitization at the end of the day.

--
Hassan Dabbagh
Network Administrator

Clare Wallace

Jun 27, 2020, 5:09:03 PM6/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
So with 8 classes per day and a min of 24 per computer room x5 rooms thats 960 covers I will need.

Danny Murray

Jun 28, 2020, 3:37:11 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I think if you were going for covers for computer room keyboards, I'd ask the coding student to get bring in their own cover and keep it in their bag.

I wouldn't trust a teenager to wash anything. I'd like to think staff are better but it wouldn't be something I'd be betting people's lives on every day. Teachers sometimes forget to call the roll sometimes, they're not perfect

I think we're going to maybe put a small 15 euro keyboard and mouse set on the equipment list for coding students.

Anyone who is not doing coding eg. using the room for careers/research etc will just have to make due with their mobile device or not use it. Coders are 90% of the room use in our school so that's okay.

The problem will be social distancing with having 32 students crammed in that computer room. We can split the class in two groups and remove every second PC but will the Dept fund a second teacher or the extra hours on the timetable? Not sure what will happen there.

Declan Finlayson

Jun 28, 2020, 3:46:19 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hassan Dabbagh

Jun 28, 2020, 5:33:35 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
That’s some quick maths there Clare you must know how much I hate numbers . I may have to buy a machine that does that kind of thing , the silicon cover yokes not the maths

I hate the idea of bringing or moving hardware ( not what was said.... just the idea of moving hardware ) we need to think outside the box for this one. We need to work without the box.... there is no Box. Hospitals use wipe down keyboards and mice as do factories they cost a fair bit . So will the school cover the cost ? And good question will the department pay for extra hours .
It good to talk and that why this thread is valuable .
Who do we present these ideas to? An idea written down becomes a plan .

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716

Paul Nugent

Jun 28, 2020, 5:40:42 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I should have included the idea was to cover the keyboards with Cling Film each time
Paul

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/F19CD77A-FADF-41E8-B5F3-2DC800615820%40gmail.com.

Danny Murray

Jun 28, 2020, 7:52:50 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Not that you'd want to do this every day but did you guys know you can probably put a computer keyboard in the dishwasher?

On Thu 25 Jun 2020, 09:05 Greg Ashe, <g...@glenstal.com> wrote:

Laurence Cuffe

Jun 28, 2020, 8:34:51 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I’ve done this, Its an internet meme.
It killed the apple keyboard stone dead.

You can put them in the oven too.
They melt.

best

Laurence Cuffe

Danny Murray

Jun 28, 2020, 9:09:36 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Laurence your Apple Keyboard probably broke in the dishwasher because you went outside Apple's Ecosystem and it wasn't Apple's Premium Brand dishwater from the App Store. You can't expect normal water to be compatible with a genuine Apple Keyboard :)

Imogen Bertin

Jun 28, 2020, 9:18:10 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Erm... sorry to be so boring and returning to the original query, but Apple actually do have a kbase article on cleaning. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172
I have used isopropyl alcohol + deionised water to clean computers, phones and tablets (using technical wipes) for years. The key is pour it onto the wipe and not the device, and check the wipe is not wet enough to drip, but just to coat/smear, before you start. It works very well.

[ducks]

--

Reagrove, Minane Bridge, Co. Cork, Ireland P17 KH32
Tel: +353 87 2655261 Email: imo...@ctc.ie

Chris Reina

Jun 28, 2020, 10:08:18 AM6/28/20
to Imogen Bertin, cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Imogen,

I definitely don’t condone the use of ducks to clean keyboards. 🙃

Chris Reina

Jun 28, 2020, 10:08:34 AM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm,

Water. Electronics.

Can’t condone that practice.

Laurence Cuffe

Jun 28, 2020, 2:15:54 PM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

On 28 Jun 2020, at 14:09, Danny Murray <dcu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Laurence your Apple Keyboard probably broke in the dishwasher because you went outside Apple's Ecosystem and it wasn't Apple's Premium Brand dishwater from the App Store. You can't expect normal water to be compatible with a genuine Apple Keyboard :)

But it was genuine apple juice from the apple store which went into it in the first place!
Best
Larry

Other non approved cleaning methods used in this household have included putting mobile phones in a vacuum chamber to remedy the effects of immersion.
Its worked surprisingly well on occasion. I found the VAC pump in a skip, and devised the vacuum chamber from the recording drum of a lie detector I happened to have lying around.
I have than kind of a garage.

Joe Halpin

Jun 28, 2020, 3:59:36 PM6/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

We have been supplying various models of washable keyboards and mice to schools for about 10 years. They only cost from €40 for the set.

Now that we need them we have not been able to get any since April and have no delivery date up to the end of this year.

Joe

Aoife Jones

Jul 27, 2020, 5:11:17 PM7/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Still reading through the documents provided by the Department of Education today, but this is all I have found so far:

Electronics – Shared electronic devices such as tablets, touch screens, keyboards should be cleaned between use and consideration could be given to the use of wipeable covers for electronics to facilitate cleaning.

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Greg Ashe

Jul 27, 2020, 5:18:39 PM7/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Given the directive for teachers to move from class to class we have taken the decision to remove fixed desktops from classrooms and for each teacher to have a Chromebook  which they keep with them for connecting wirelessly to projector via Chromecast.

gusgus r

Jul 27, 2020, 7:52:09 PM7/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Clingfilm over the keyboard each user should be fine, Sanitise hands before and after too, Disposable plastic glove for the mouse.
Touchscreens: IPA wipes

Jennifer Stack

Jul 27, 2020, 8:11:06 PM7/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
The suggestion to use gloves and hand sanitizer is of course a must. Can I say the cling film is a good start in terms of getting closer to a solution regards cover of keyboards... The most important thing is to keep looking for solutions as you have been. Computer Science and Digital classes are in a very precarious place at the moment, especially as it’s a relatively new subject in many schools. There will be a tendency to stop the Computer courses especially the Jr. Cycle Coding and Digital Literacy short courses. I feel other practical subjects have more challenging sanitizing issues than a computer lab.   I am optimistic that this conversation will continue to evolve and a creative solution will be found regards “covering” of keyboard and mouse.
Looking forward to continued suggestions.
Kind Regards
Jennifer Stack

Clingfilm over the keyboard each user should be fine, Sanitise hands before and after too, Disposable plastic glove for the mouse.
Touchscreens: IPA wipes

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

CBS The Green
Tralee
Co. Kerry

Tel: (066) 7145824

Email: in...@thegreen.ie
Web: www.thegreen.ie

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and or privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. They contain the proprietary information of CBS The Green and may not be copied used or disclosed in whole or in part without the prior written consent of CBS The Green. They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any review, dissemination, disclosure, distribution, alteration, printing, copying, transmission or use of this email and/or any file transmitted or the information therein is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email and any file transmitted with it in error please notify us by email at in...@thegreen.ie, then delete the email and all copies of it from your system and destroy any hard copies of the email. Please note that any views, opinions or advice contained in this communication are those of the sending individual and not necessarily those of CBS The Green.

Email may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment, and we do not accept liability for any such corruption, interception or amendment or the consequences thereof. Although CBS The Green operates anti-virus programmes, it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses being passed. CBS The Green reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its networks.

Eileen Flanagan

Jul 29, 2020, 10:54:44 AM7/29/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Would Dettol spray work on the keyboards and mouse or could it damage them? Would be a lot faster than using wipes.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Greg Ashe

Jul 29, 2020, 11:03:26 AM7/29/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Dettol spray onto microfibre cloth ok but not direct on keyboards/mice

Eileen Flanagan

Danny Murray

Aug 2, 2020, 10:34:50 AM8/2/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Anyone in the Department advocating cleaning of keyboards might want to fist try eating a pack of Doritos over their own keyboard. Have fun finding crumbs for the next six months despite your best efforts cleaning and keys randomly getting stuck in the pressed down position!

I remember our Sailing Club bar being shut down by the HSE for having a countertop with smooth 2m grooves between the tiles because they said and I quote "Impossible to clean in any effective manner". A computer keyboard is like that except 5-10mm full-on gaps and electronics in between said gaps. If a micro-biologist were to design a worst-case scenario surface to clean, that surface would look remarkably like a keyboard.

BYOK (Bring your own keyboard/laptop) is the only way to go.

#OnePersonOneSuface

gusgus r

Aug 2, 2020, 4:09:27 PM8/2/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
How about wrap in cling film each use ?

Eoin McDonnell

Aug 2, 2020, 7:10:21 PM8/2/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Instructions unclear

--

Eoin McDonnell
Tech Educator and Schools Account Manager

martybates

Aug 7, 2020, 9:08:43 PM8/7/20
to CESI-list
Hi Gregory.
Depending on your budget, here is one solution to sanitising computer keyboards and other similar hardware. These devices use ultra violet light to neutralise pathogens. They are very effective against both virus and bacteria. I use UV light to treat my well water and it works well (excuse the pun.)
The handheld device is retailing for around €3000 at the moment. You can probably guess why the cost is so high. I believe that they are made in Germany.
IMHO, it is would be the best solution to the problems ahead of us all, but you would however, buy an awful lot of clingfilm for €3000 .
I tried to upload pdf of flyer but it was blocked by server. Link is to relevant page on their website.

Regards,
Marty Bates,
Woodwork Teacher,
Dungarvan College,