Live streaming

Jennifer Bratten

Aug 5, 2020, 11:58:30 AM8/5/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a repeat question if so I apologise and feel free to point me in the right direction. My principal has been in contact and we are going to meet in regard  to the possibility of live streaming as an option where a class or 2 needs splitting in two different rooms/gym.

Apart from using google hangouts and students following on an individual device or on a projector, has anyone any suggestions on how they may approach this if it is necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

DATA PROTECTION: We’re processing data belonging to you i.e. your email address & name in the Public Interest. For more information please review our Privacy Statement by clicking here.

Aoife Jones

Aug 5, 2020, 12:09:41 PM8/5/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking about this as well.
Some thoughts, which you might have already thought about:
- A camera on the teacher's board, or teacher casting their screen (downside is you can't see their gestures. I'm a very gesturey teacher).
- teacher wearing a microphone
- students bringing their own earphones
- and as someone else pointed out, the teacher remembering to repeat questions asked by students before answering them so that it's picked up by the mic.

I also noticed that the Department suggested having three classes in an auditorium/PE hall. Completely impractical for teaching three live classes, but much more doable if all students are just following on their iPads and earphones.

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CAHwOsGW6vRv7kkVeu7VR_nnffVp615rO_Bdnu21vz3_pFaMSJA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jennifer Bratten

Aug 5, 2020, 4:24:27 PM8/5/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Aoife. I had thought of the camera and the students bringing their own device and ear phones however, the wearing of a microphone could be an issue we might need to address alright. Thanks again for that.

Chris Reina

Aug 6, 2020, 8:28:18 AM8/6/20
to Jennifer Bratten, cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jennifer,

This is something we’ve been exploring in great detail recently.

If I understand correctly - you are considering streaming a class to students in different rooms or on their individual devices.

The biggest issue I fear is that almost every service requires you to stream “outwards” in order for the stream to come back “inwards”.

This will require high bandwidth across either your wired or wireless network. I suggest your first port of call is to ensure this is at a sufficient standard.

In terms of cameras - we have opted for a 2 camera setup - one closeup on the “hands” of a teacher (for building/making projects) and the 2nd on the person themselves.

This can be easily managed in free software called “OBS” (https://obsproject.com) - You can setup “scenes” which can be switched back and forth easily.

OBS will then stream this live feed to an external service (YouTube, Zoom, etc.) or you can stream the feed locally across your internal network. (To any device with an IP address) - However, a word of caution here… this is not the easiest process and requires a high level of knowledge to implement.

All of this requires a large amount of setup and practice and would be something which would be best to seek advice on.

I’d be happy to chat informally if you like - feel free to drop me an email if you like. (if memory serves me - I may have implemented the first iPads into your school a number of years ago)

Cheers,

Chris

michael ruane

Aug 7, 2020, 11:15:56 AM8/7/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks
Could anyone here recommend a wireless microphone - I was thinking of one that would wear around our necks.....that would connect to a usb (like a wireless mouse) and allow students in a different location listen to the class while the computer screen itself if shared via google hangout  - I don't want a full on head set...any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help
Michael Ruane

Aug 7, 2020, 12:04:55 PM8/7/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just had a chat with Paul (from djsolutions in Kilkenny) and he told me:

"You could use a USB Lapel mic that would have very low latency issues and really good sound quality. There's a massive range of both quality and price with these also from the likes of Rode, Saramonic and IK to cheaper LD, Q-Audio etc.
I would recommend using an audio interface to give the best possible sound and ease volume settings eg a Roland Go:mixer or IK iRig stream.
I can put a few options together of the different ranges and let them decide what suits best."

Paul's contact details are phone: +353 (0) 56 777 7557; email: in...@djsolutions.ie

Regards,
Declan

I Roller

Aug 8, 2020, 1:50:24 PM8/8/20
to CESI-list
Hi Michael

I have been trying the USB Fifine Wireless Lavalier microphone and it appears to work well. It is plug and play. There are a few YouTube reviews out there that might help you decide if it would work for you.

Ian
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie