Funded courses in Computer Science for teachers

Pam O Brien

Nov 19, 2020, 6:18:11 AM11/19/20
to CESI-list

The IT Department of Limerick Institute of Technology are delighted to announce that we will be running two 10 credit Level 9 programmes for teachers interested in upskilling in Computer Science from January 2021.  The programmes are a Certificate in Coding and Computational Thinking (https://lit.ie/en-ie/courses/certificate-in-coding-and-computational-thinking ) and a Certificate in Coding for Embedded Systems (https://lit.ie/en-ie/courses/certificate-in-coding-for-embedded-systems).  These courses are funded under the July Stimulus programme and, as a result, are either entirely free for attendees or 90% of the tuition fees are covered.  Completion of these modules will entitle you to exemptions from our Certificate, Post Graduate Diploma and Masters programmes in Computer Science for Teachers should you wish to further develop your qualifications.  You can apply for theses programmes at the links above.

If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Regards

Pam

Jennifer Stack

Nov 19, 2020, 7:41:51 AM11/19/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pam
I am very interested in completing both courses, is it possible to complete both? Are you the contact person to ask regards signing up for courses? My number is 0874693180 or I can call you at your convenience. In the meantime I will follow the links you provided to get as much information as is possible.
Sincerely
Jennifer

Jennifer Stack

Teacher, St Mary's CBS The Green Secondary School, Tralee

GeoMentor Esri Ireland ArcGIS for Schools

Phone: (066) 714 5824

Mobile: 353 87 4693180

Email: jst...@jenniferstackgis.onmicrosoft.com

  @jenniferstack00

Nov 19, 2020, 1:52:45 PM11/19/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
That is great Pam, thanks a million. I see that the Coding and Computational Thinking course is linked to the Coding short course for the new Junior Cycle. Is the Coding for Embedded Systems linked to the new Computer Science course for Leaving Cert?

Aimée

Pam O Brien

Nov 19, 2020, 3:38:18 PM11/19/20
to CESI-list
Jennifer

I am the programme co-ordinator for these courses so I am happy to answer any queries you may have.  I'll give you a call to discuss specific questions.

Regards
Pam
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Pam O Brien

Nov 19, 2020, 3:57:51 PM11/19/20
to CESI-list
Aimée

Both of these modules are part of our Postgraduate Diploma and Masters in Computer Science for Teachers programmes.  Completion of the Diploma or Masters would satisfy the criteria for Computer Science which has been published by the Teaching Council recently.  Completion of the courses to be offered in January would entitle you to exemptions from the Diploma or Masters programmes should you wish to further develop your qualifications.  Content from both the Certificate in Coding and Computational Thinking and the Certificate in Coding for Embedded Systems could be used at both Junior and Senior Cycle.

Regards
Pam

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 11:18, Pam O Brien <pamela...@lit.ie> wrote:

[...]

Denis Dennehy

Nov 19, 2020, 3:58:08 PM11/19/20
to cesi-list
Hi Pam, Would like to register my interest and would like direction as to where to go next

Regards
Denis

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/b86ab48f-a72f-4c9f-b28b-a953c2097d6ao%40googlegroups.com.

Pam O Brien

Nov 19, 2020, 4:28:48 PM11/19/20
to CESI-list
Denis

Feel free to contact me off list where I would be happy to discuss your options.

Regards
Pam

Karen Murnane

Nov 19, 2020, 6:10:34 PM11/19/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Are these suitable for primary teachers?
Regards
Karen Murnane

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Nov 2020, at 21:28, Pam O Brien <pamela...@lit.ie> wrote:

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/6db75f7d-0fa7-4dfc-ab21-3172e793df45o%40googlegroups.com.

Denis Dennehy

Nov 19, 2020, 6:10:39 PM11/19/20
to cesi-list
Hi Pam, spoting this now not sure what the difference between the two but 'need to stake a claim'
Regards
Denis

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Bonnie Fleming

Nov 20, 2020, 8:22:43 AM11/20/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pam,

I would be interested in completing both courses and was wondering if you could provide me with some more information.
Can the courses be completed via distance learning and are they flexible enough that I can complete them whilst working?
Both courses start in January is that correct and can be completed simultaneously?
Last question, both courses last for one semester, is that from January until Easter?

Many thanks.
Bonnie Fleming

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 11:18, Pam O Brien <pamela...@lit.ie> wrote:

Pam O Brien

Nov 20, 2020, 10:07:18 AM11/20/20
to CESI-list
Karen

Both programmes are suitable for primary teachers.  We have had a number of primary teachers complete the Certificate in Coding and Computational Thinking course over the past 3 years of delivering the programme.

Regards

Pam

Pam O Brien

Nov 20, 2020, 10:09:44 AM11/20/20
to CESI-list
Denis

The focus of the Certificate in Coding and Computational Thinking is the introductory concepts needed to teach coding in the classroom.  The Certificate in Coding for Embedded Systems deals with coding for hardware such as the micro:bit board.

Hope this helps
Pam

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:10:39 PM UTC, denisdennehy wrote:
[...]

Pam O Brien

Nov 20, 2020, 10:37:39 AM11/20/20
to CESI-list

Bonnie

The programmes are specifically designed for teachers to upskill in Computer Science and as a result are flexible to suit those working full time.  The programmes are both 1 semester in duration so would run from January to May.  Regarding the delivery mode, our preference would be for 3 face to face Saturday workshops, however in light of the current Covid-19 restrictions, we don't feel that it would be prudent to bring teachers from different schools together at the moment.  We are planning for full online delivery for the coming semester for these courses.  There will be 3 Saturday workshops (1 each in January, February and March) with weekly online content and engagement.

I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to enrol for both as long as you have sufficient time to dedicate to complete both programmes. However, depending on the interest in the programmes there are no guarantees that you would be accepted for both.  As they are both 10 credit modules so there is an expectation around the number of hours.  Both of the modules are practical in nature and have 6 contact hours per week with an expectation of independent learning also.

If you have any further queries please let me know.

Regards

Pam

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 1:22:43 PM UTC, bonnie.fleming wrote:
[...]

Karen Murnane

Nov 20, 2020, 12:15:44 PM11/20/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pam
Do you have a link to apply for these courses?
Regards
Karen Murnane

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Nov 2020, at 15:37, Pam O Brien <pamela...@lit.ie> wrote:

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/a770bf6a-72a5-4c8b-99eb-c238f351b515o%40googlegroups.com.

Pam O Brien

Nov 24, 2020, 5:47:36 AM11/24/20
to CESI-list
My apologies Karen

I missed this question from you on Friday night.  You can apply through the webpages for each course so for Coding and Computational Thinking the link is https://lit.ie/en-ie/courses/certificate-in-coding-and-computational-thinking and for Coding for Embedded Systems the link is https://lit.ie/en-ie/courses/certificate-in-coding-for-embedded-systems.

Regards
Pam

Pam O Brien

Nov 27, 2020, 5:59:08 AM11/27/20
to CESI-list
Hi all

Just a reminder that the application deadline for theses course is next Monday November 30th.

I have had a number of queries about the duration and the delivery mode.  The courses will each run for one semester so will run from January to May.  The delivery mode for both will be fully online.  There will be 3 Saturday workshops - one each in January, February and March.  There will also be weekly online content and engagement.

If you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact me either on or off list.
Regards
Pam