Microsoft Office and iPads

pCzarnoleska

Sep 26, 2020, 6:28:21 AM9/26/20
to CESI-list
Quick question. We are finally getting the green light to purchase devices for ourselves in the PE Dept.

We were thinking if iPads as they were recommended by schools doing LCPE.

Our management mentioned that we could encounter problems with compatibility of the office 365 that we use in school...any opinions?

I’m working on Mac and iPhone  and did not have any problems with the Teams or Vlassnotebook apps or browser versions...would it be an issue on IPads?

Kind regards,
Patrycja Czarnoleska O’Connor
PE and Computers Dept,
Presentation Secondary School Tralee

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

DATA PROTECTION: We’re processing data belonging to you i.e. your email address & name in the Public Interest. For more information please review our Privacy Notice on our website Presentation Secondary School, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Miriam Walsh

Sep 26, 2020, 6:37:02 AM9/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
You shouldn’t encounter any issues.
I’ve deployed across several schools some have office integration, others google and others use the Apple productivity apps. No issues to date.

As long as students and staff have accounts you shouldn’t encounter errors.

One of the classes I have been working with is a PE group and features of iPad including markup, Clips/ iMovie have been great for analysing and capturing

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2020, at 11:28 AM, pCzarnoleska <pczarn...@prestralee.ie> wrote:

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/DB7PR02MB45530E0C6068549660FAC91FCC370%40DB7PR02MB4553.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com.

Keith Michael Gregg

Sep 26, 2020, 8:52:55 AM9/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
It will work, but it will be far clunkier than if you use a surface. Surfaces are far superior to iPads in any case and you can do more with them.

Laurence Cuffe

Sep 26, 2020, 10:29:18 AM9/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

On 26 Sep 2020, at 13:52, Keith Michael Gregg <keithm...@gmail.com> wrote:

It will work, but it will be far clunkier than if you use a surface. Surfaces are far superior to iPads in any case and you can do more with them.

We had problems a couple of years ago with a Surface Pro, which was used to record student presentations. About twenty minutes in, the fan started up, and on the rest of the presentations the sound quality was unusable. I did spend about five hours using audio software to see if I could devise some sort of a filter which would make the recordings usable, but I did not succeed.
Fan noise is a know problem with Surface’s and can be avoided by using an external Mic, but then the arrangement might get too clunky for use in a PE context.
To the best of my knowledge, iPad’s don’t have fans.  Additionally, there is much more software available for the apple platform.
Budget for good covers for them, and try and get some training/support as part of the purchase.
Best, in an unbiased way, written on my Mac,
Laurence Cuffe.

Chris Reina

Sep 26, 2020, 11:17:04 AM9/26/20
to Keith Michael Gregg, cesi...@googlegroups.com
"Surfaces superior to iPads, you can do more with them"

😂🤣

That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.

Danny Murray

Sep 26, 2020, 3:00:52 PM9/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
We tried office apps on iPads back in 2015. On the Powerpoint and Word App, they could sign in to a personal microsoft account or onedrive but it didn't work with the enterprise level Microsoft accounts at all. For organisation accounts, they had to go through the safari browser which wasn't as good as the app. As all our student accounts were that type, we ended up going with Google Apps instead.

That was five years ago though, maybe they've fixed that since?

Keith Michael Gregg

Sep 26, 2020, 3:02:15 PM9/26/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I still have that problem trying to sign into OneNote on my Macbook

Danny Murray

Sep 27, 2020, 8:32:26 AM9/27/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
A long time ago, Apple stopped comparing itself to other companies and decided that its new strategy was to never mention other companies, products or even acknowledge they exist. It's a pretty ballsy marketing strategy but it seems to have largely worked for them.

They make Chrome and Firefox Age 17+ which gets them both banned from most school iPads but yet Safari is just fine. I'm sure they argue that it's because they have better safety controls over Safari but it's rather convenient that that delivers a huge buy-in from younger users. It's the first bank account theory, most people don't change in later life. If you go outside of their ecosystem, you're risking being dropped. Our 5th and 6th years were using google drive and all of a sudden it was "no longer supported" for older iPads and so they couldn't download it anymore.

I love/hate Apple for throwing out the baby every two years. I love/hate Microsoft for being the total other end of that scale. There is code in Windows 10 that was written in Windows 1 and 3.1. It's still there. They will support everything back to the stone age and all the moss and clutter that comes along with it. They released a rare patch for Windows XP during the Wanacry fiasco and that is a 19-year-old operating system!

So I guess what I'm saying is that you're best to stay within whatever ecosystem you get into unless you like doing a lot of admin. Unless you're the type (like myself) that wants to drive a car/plane/boat to school.

-Danny

A. Ryan

Sep 28, 2020, 7:29:29 AM9/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I suppose the issue is divided into School Platform & LC PE Functionality.

School platform wise, we are a MS school with a mix of iPAds mostly (and some surfaces for teachers, I have both). Personally I'm banging my head off a wall trying to navigate Teams on an iPad, other teachers without surfaces are getting on ok with iPads so that does them fine.

What type of stuff would you need to be doing with PE. Will you be moving a lot, if so a tablet (with very good protective casing) would be ideal, I've seen PE teachers moving around with surfaces and it looks a bit clunky, whereas the iPads seem more portable.

Will you need it for recording audio/video? If so iPads are the most conducive and ready to go.

If you need it for a lot of typing/formatting documents/presentations then an iPad with a smaller screen and a keyboard that takes up half the screen just does my head in. Laptop all the way for admin.

Maybe it might come down to budget!

As regards noisy hard drives on Surfaces, I thought they were all SSD now!

Anyway, let the battle continue, Apple Vs Microsoft (With Chromebooks always lurking in the wings )

Chris Reina

Sep 28, 2020, 9:05:27 AM9/28/20
to A. Ryan, cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I think Aengus begins to scratch the surface (no pun intended ;-) here…

The issue should NEVER be “which device is best”…

The very first question should be “What do I need to accomplish”. To be fair to Patrycja - she asked a simple question.

The thing is… simple questions often require more depth and nuance to make wise purchasing decisions.

Of course, the 3 big companies are always being compared to each other - Microsoft, Apple and Google.

They all have software and hardware solutions - Surface, iPad, Chromebook  •  Word, Excel, Powerpoint - Pages, Numbers, Keynote - Docs, Sheets, Slides

Much like Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu, Aldi and Lidl… some do certain things better, others, perhaps not.

Need is key. What task are you trying to accomplish? I find a useful metric are the old newspaper questions: (Who, What, How, Why, When, Where)

Answer these questions first.

Then:
1) Colleagues advice
2) Wider audience advice (ask students, family, friends) - remember, buy in from staff/students has value
3) Independent tech advice (not from the reseller - they will almost certainly push you to the best profit margin device)
4) Finally - best price (and perhaps support)

Lastly - remember, all of these may never coalesce into a reasonable answer. Sometimes thinking laterally about an issue may provide a better result.

As always - I’m happy to chat to anyone regarding all devices, software and hardware. There aren’t too many I haven’t used, assessed and tested over the years.

Cheers!

Chris
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

pCzarnoleska

Sep 28, 2020, 9:16:58 AM9/28/20
to cesi...@googlegroups.com, A. Ryan
By looking at all what you said Chris iPads all the way. We don’t have a hall so we are moving all the time ...😆

Kind regards,
Patrycja Czarnoleska O’Connor
PE and Computers Dept,
Presentation Secondary School Tralee

[E​XTER​NAL_MAIL_CAUTION]​: This email originated from outside of Presentation Tralee Office 365. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.