CSinc Teacher PD, TY programme and LCCS Outreach for 2020-21

Keith Quille

Oct 6, 2020, 5:37:25 AM10/6/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

      I hope this finds you all well. We have some announcements which we are really excited about, regarding TY, CPD and Leaving Certificate Computer Science Outreach. As always we appreciate your support and we hope the following initiatives are of value to you. Instead of sending three separate emails overwhelming you with mail, we have condensed all three announcements into one. This year with the unprecedented circumstances (COVID-19) and the start of Phase 2 of the  Leaving Certificate Computer Science Subject, CSinc will be focusing our outreach camps and PD on working with Leaving Certificate Computer Science classes during this difficult time.

As always we would like to thank Microsoft Ireland for their amazing support of CSinc and all of our initiatives (and support over the previous three years), without them we would not be able to provide you with the support that we have been able to. Don’t’ forget to visit https://www.microsoft.com/dreamspace/ where you can also find out about the amazing DreamSpace initiatives.

1) LCCS (Leaving Certificate Computer Science) Outreach

CSinc is proud to announce that this year we will be focusing our outreach efforts on working with Phase 1 and Phase 2 (5th and 6th-year students) Leaving Certificate Computer Science Classes. We will cover any topic on the specification that you would like or applied learning task. This can also benefit the teacher as we will employ pedagogies, methodologies and activities for the specific topic. You can select the topic when you book your event with us, but of course, can contact us if you need to add specifics or have any questions! The outreach as always is completely free however with COVID-19 you should please read carefully the important notes below:

Important Notes:

  1. Currently, TU Dublin staff members are not allowed to travel to schools, while we have provided an option/preference for us to travel to your school, for the moment we have to visit virtually. This will be a live event, with QandA and sample code/content walkthroughs. If our institutional restrictions change and we can travel to your school, of course, we will oblige, and please feel free to select your preference in the booking, but for now, all visits are virtual.
  2. Typically the camps, when they were in person for LCCS, was approximately 4 hours in length. Some topics may still require this, especially the applied learning tasks. However with migration to virtual for the foreseeable future, perhaps a smaller amount of time might be recommended. From our teacher CPD sessions and feedback from teachers, 4 hours is a bit long virtually (we are reducing our CPD sessions to two hours for this reason). This is our first year to run outreach virtually so we are in uncharted water. But perhaps 4 hours should be a maximum time, and maybe with 5th years 2 – 3 hours would be more suitable. Again we can adapt this is restrictions are reduced and we can visit in person 😊.

To book your LCCS outreach virtual visit (You can book now!!!) please visit http://csinc.ie/Home/outreach and click on the link at the bottom of the page or click the image below:

2) Transition Year (TY) Programme

We are moving ahead with our transition year programme and all going to plan will be up and running for January 2021. CSinc developed the TY programme to be delivered in class, blended or as an online programme. The programme consists of four (eight weeks) mini-courses, where teachers can run one, two, three or all of the mini-courses. This allows for flexibility within very diverse TY timetables. The course is completely free to both teachers and students. Each mini-course consists of lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, videos, class/homework and solutions for teachers, providing a full suite of tools to deliver successful TY Computer Science courses, all available from an online VLE, where CSinc will set up the class and enrol all of your students. The mini-courses consist of:

  • Introduction to Computer Science
  • BBC micro:bit
  • HTML and CSS
  • Python

The assessment is automated, where the students take a pre-created quiz, that is graded automatically. If students are successful a certificate of completion will be issued by TU Dublin, for each mini-course passed. For a video walkthrough of the TY programme, and additional details please visit: http://csinc.ie/Home/TY where you can also register your interest!

3) Teacher Computer Science CPD

Finally, while we are sending this email out, we are delighted to announce our CPD line up for this academic year and are again focused on Leaving Certificate Computer Science (but many of the topics such as Python and HTML would be suitable for many other years like JC coding). The 17 CPD sessions are supported by 6 Education Centres and will be held virtually so you can attend without any travel!! While we are finalising the booking forms and content, below is a provisional schedule for the events and the topics that they will cover. They are all now 2 hours in duration (6-8 pm) with a focus on pedagogies, approaches and activities. We have broken the topics down into smaller chunks and will be recorded so you will have access to them after the sessions! By the end of next week, they will be confirmed with links to each Education Centre booking form (some are already live – if the link dos not work don’t worry it will soon 😊) and all of the dates and session titles and content can be found at the following link: http://csinc.ie/Home/TeacherPD

Kind regards,

CSinc Team

CSinc
Department of Computing
Tallaght Campus

– 353 1 404 2315 – tudublin.iekeithquille.comCSinc.ie

OT Baile Átha Cliath - Campas Thamlachta D24 FKT9, Éire
TU Dublin - Tallaght Campus D24 FKT9, Ireland

This email originated from TU Dublin. If you received this email in error, please delete it from your system. Please note that if you are not the named addressee, disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action based on the contents of this email or attachments is prohibited.

Is ó OT Baile Átha Cliath a tháinig an ríomhphost seo. Má fuair tú an ríomhphost seo trí earráid, scrios de do chóras é le do thoil. Tabhair ar aird, mura tú an seolaí ainmnithe, go bhfuil dianchosc ar aon nochtadh, aon chóipeáil, aon dáileadh nó ar aon ghníomh a dhéanfar bunaithe ar an ábhar atá sa ríomhphost nó sna hiatáin seo.

Mary O'Leary

Oct 6, 2020, 6:16:56 AM10/6/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

Great to hear from you.

Unfortunately, we are not doing LC Computer Science at the moment in either fifth or sixth year.  I would be very interested in our students participating in the Transition Year online/blended Computer Science Programme commencing in January.    There are some really talented students in the group.

I would be delighted to participate in any online CPD that would facilitate preparation in supporting the TY students doing this TY programme.

I hope all is well with you.

Kindest regards,

Mary

Mary O'Leary
TY Co-ordinator
Christ King Secondary School
South Douglas Road
Cork

Tel: 021 4961448

A. Ryan

Oct 6, 2020, 7:40:03 AM10/6/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
For the teacher CPD could I attend any of the virtual classes run from different centers or do I have to stick to my own region?

Keith Quille

Oct 6, 2020, 8:01:31 AM10/6/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

   You can attend any of the events!

Kind regards,

Keith Quille

Keith Quille

Department of Computing
Tallaght Campus

– 353 1 404 2315 – tudublin.iekeithquille.comCSinc.ie

OT Baile Átha Cliath - Campas Thamlachta D24 FKT9, Éire
TU Dublin - Tallaght Campus D24 FKT9, Ireland

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.