CS uptake

John

Aug 7, 2020, 9:45:53 PM8/7/20
to CESI·CS List
I am battling to introduce CS as a LC subject into our school in Munster. I think our principal needs to know that there is a lot of interest in the subject. Does anyone know where to find the uptake of CS as a LC subject in schools not only in Munster but also nationwide. This would be obviously outside of the pilot schools. Any pointers greatly appreciated.....

Denis Dennehy

Aug 8, 2020, 6:08:27 AM8/8/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, I thought I was going to be in a similar situation. I had the perfect group. They were keen but couldn’t get into pilot the opportunity has now passsed. If you have a small keen group and they were on for thinking outside the box. A bit inside and outside of your  time was a starter ... not for long term development of subject. Having keen committed group that’s the best evidence. My opportunity has now passed and the need to wait for another naturally occurring group that way you can move from gaming to CS pretty easily.
Not the most thrilling of opinions I guess but good luck.

Denis

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 02:45 John <john2...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am battling to introduce CS as a LC subject into our school in Munster. I think our principal needs to know that there is a lot of interest in the subject. Does anyone know where to find the uptake of CS as a LC subject in schools not only in Munster but also nationwide. This would be obviously outside of the pilot schools. Any pointers greatly appreciated.....

John

Aug 8, 2020, 6:54:41 AM8/8/20
to CESI·CS List
Thanks Denis,

I think once you build the culture in the school of CS as a LC subject it can take off. But I think the first step would be to get it going.
I know that there was only 40 in the pilot but now that's it's open to all what is the take up in schools by region. I think there is a good interest in the subject and schools have taken it on. The info on this must be available somewhere.

Technology Kishoge

Aug 8, 2020, 7:01:19 AM8/8/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
The info might be available but it will likely change as the department is allowing schools to defer offering the subject in September if needs be due to COVID. We are going ahead with it and we have 32 students taking it for the first time. 100% agree that a culture is needed in the school to drive the uptake at senior cycle

Micheal Griffin

I.C.T. coordinator,
Kishoge Community College,
Ninth Lock Road,
Lucan,
Co. Dublin

John

Aug 8, 2020, 9:25:31 AM8/8/20
to CESI·CS List
Great response and interest. Good luck. Hopefully the supports are available to implement the subject.

CESI Chair

Aug 10, 2020, 4:21:38 PM8/10/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi John and Denis

It's great to see the interest in developing CS as a LC subject in your respective schools.  Certainly schools were invited by the DES to indicate if they were interested in introducing it as a subject as far back as last November. Developing a culture which makes CS a natural option at LC is I think as you say, critical.

The DES is very committed to supporting CS moving forward and to this end a framework document has been produced, which you might be interested in reading.   CESI has been part of the discussions and continues to be, bringing the practical teacher voice to the table.

Best of luck
Adrienne Webb
Chair, CESI

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 at 02:45, John <john2...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am battling to introduce CS as a LC subject into our school in Munster. I think our principal needs to know that there is a lot of interest in the subject. Does anyone know where to find the uptake of CS as a LC subject in schools not only in Munster but also nationwide. This would be obviously outside of the pilot schools. Any pointers greatly appreciated.....

LCCS_Framework (1).docx

Careers News

Aug 11, 2020, 3:53:14 AM8/11/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com

Adrienne

Is this document available for general circulation?

I would like to feature it on the CareersNews site.

Thanks

Tom Farrell.

Phone 059 914 6436

Mobile 086 805 3907

CESI Chair

Aug 11, 2020, 7:04:53 AM8/11/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

Let me just double check.

Adrienne

CESI Chair

Aug 11, 2020, 7:41:27 AM8/11/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

I've checked that out and the answer is not at the moment.  It has been forwarded to the LCCS Steering Group for approval.  It has been shared here on the list for CESI members.

Kind regards
Adrienne

John

Aug 11, 2020, 9:55:52 AM8/11/20
to CESI·CS List
Adrienne,

Thanks for the info with regards to the framework which I think you posted already. I seem to have 2 one dated November 2019 and May 2020.
Is there anyway of getting the number of schools that are implementing LCCS from this September. I would assume that there is a good uptake but would definitely make my argument easier to my principal if I could get some kind of figures on the uptake. I am sure it's there somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

John

CESI Chair

Aug 11, 2020, 2:47:02 PM8/11/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
I'll see what I can do John

Adrienne

John

Aug 11, 2020, 3:32:52 PM8/11/20
to CESI·CS List
Thanks Adrienne

Really appreciate it

CESI Chair

Aug 13, 2020, 10:04:34 AM8/13/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

The figure for schools starting for the first time in Sept is approx 65.  This may change as a result of Covid.  Hope that helps.

Adrienne

Careers News

Aug 13, 2020, 10:36:22 AM8/13/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

How many schools in total will be offering CS

Thanks

Tom Farrell.

Phone 059 914 6436

Mobile 086 805 3907

Aug 13, 2020, 4:36:38 PM8/13/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

If you take it that 40 schools participated in phase one and there are approximately 65 new to the subject in Sept. then 105 would be the expected number.  The only caveat here is if Covid has caused schools to change plans.

Adrienne

Careers News

Aug 14, 2020, 4:29:44 AM8/14/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com

Adrienne

Thanks for that

I am very disappointed that the number is so low. What can be done to increase the uptake?

A publicity campaign perhaps?

Thanks

Tom Farrell.

The Careers and Education News website is provided as a service to everyone involved in Careers Guidance or Education in Ireland.

The service is made possible by the continued support of  these Sponsors.

To sign up for the Newsletter click here …

image001.gif
image002.gif
image003.gif

John

Aug 14, 2020, 8:24:51 AM8/14/20
to CESI·CS List
Thanks Adrienne,

I thought myself that they may have been more however as you said COVID gas played it's part. I think they are around 720 post primary schools in Ireland.(https://statbank.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/saveselections.asp)

So with a figure of around 105 that's an estimate of 14/15% that have taken up CS.

Adrienne can I ask is there any way to get a regional break down with those figures such as county, province ?

I know this may be a big ask but it would really make interesting reading.

Thanks

Monica Ward

Aug 14, 2020, 10:05:27 AM8/14/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
I think around 120 schools expressed an interest initially in being part of the Phase 1 rollout.  Maybe many of the 64 schools come from this cohort.

In the glass half-full mode, 14% is not bad - better to have a good start than a big rush that fizzles out.

I was trying to look for a comparative course on this CSO site, but I couldn't find anything in a similar range.

As John says, it would be interesting to see if there are any clusters, which would help to build/strengthen communities of practice for the teachers.

Monica

Séanadh Ríomhphoist/Email Disclaimer

Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin amháin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Read more here.

Jennifer Stack

Aug 14, 2020, 10:35:11 AM8/14/20
to ces...@googlegroups.com
Wow this is a wonderful conversation and great to see Teachers wanting CS as a subject in their schools.  I would like to say to John who initially sent the email to query CS as a subject at LC and the uptake in schools: It takes Teachers like you with a passion and drive to have CS a subject in schools to offer our students. I feel at this point it’s a “right” on the part of students to leave school with a digital learning experience and skills. Essentially John you will have to continue to approach your Principal, I did in my own school and we managed to be selected for Phase 2.
A great way to start is: offering a Computer Science Module to Transition year students, the students can then select CS as a leaving cert subject. Meaning in fifth year you would have a crop of students who want to study the subject, naturally you would seek approval from your principal. Another option is to introduce the short course in coding to JR Cycle. Doing this will allow your own school and the teachers who might teach CS an opportunity to address any teething problems etc before taking on teaching students a CS 2 year program of study. There is noting stopping you or your school offering the subject if you are not part of the phase program with the DES. I would only suggest this if you have looked at the LS CS course of work and feel you are able to teach your students. The best support I have found is with Keith Quille, Brett Becker and Co from Dublin Technical University, please forgive if I have missed anyone. They have written the first ever computer science for leaving cert book!! They also provide CPD for teachers  and will go to your school to introduce the subject to Transition year and possibly other years, with a view to generating confidence and interest among students and faculty. webwise.ie has a great digital literacy program called #connected and this can be taught to students during CSPE another good way to introduce younger students to digital learning in the hope of generating interest at the younger age group.
Finally I do feel what is slowing the process down is finding teachers who are confident in their abilities, most teachers will be well able to teach the subject successfully, but it’s getting them to feel that confidence to actually do so!!! Another issue is many schools have differences in terms of access to hardware etc, but this is also addressed in the phase 1 and 2 program.
Keep up your enthusiasm as ultimately it will benefit your school and students, and it’s teachers like you who will drive Digital Learning in our Secondary Schools!!!!
Kind Regards