Heads up: The SCT Viewer UI is going away from Chrome (and what you can do about it)

Eran Messeri

Jun 4, 2015, 10:52:55 AM6/4/15
to certificate-...@googlegroups.com
FYI, the Chrome SCT Viewer UI is being removed from Chrome. CT information would still be available through Chrome's NetLog and there are no implications for CT requirement from EV certificates.

The reason is that such UI must be implemented for all platforms Chromium supports. I only implemented for Windows and Linux (based on the Views UI framework) but not for Mac.

If anyone with Cocoa experience cares deeply about the SCT Viewer, I'll be happy to work with them to create it for Mac and have it reviewed (There's a draft implementation I've started in https://codereview.chromium.org/957363002/).

Otherwise, starting with Chrome M44, this UI will no longer be available from the website settings popup bubble. Details on how to inspect CT-related information in the NetLog can be found at www.certificate-transparency.org/certificate-transparency-in-chrome.

Eran

Matt Palmer

Jun 4, 2015, 8:29:22 PM6/4/15
to 'Eran Messeri' via certificate-transparency
On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 03:52:54PM +0100, 'Eran Messeri' via certificate-transparency wrote:
> FYI, the Chrome SCT Viewer UI is being removed
> <https://codereview.chromium.org/1150173002/> from Chrome. CT information
> would still be available through Chrome's NetLog and there are no
> implications for CT requirement from EV certificates.
>
> The reason is that such UI must be implemented for all platforms Chromium
> supports. I only implemented for Windows and Linux (based on the Views UI
> framework) but not for Mac.

That's disappointing. I find it rather handy to be able to take a quick
gander at SCTs in certs, on the odd occasion they're available. Still, I
have absolutely no knowledge of Cocoa dev, and I can certainly understand
why feature parity amongst platforms is important. Hopefully someone with
mad Cocoa skillz has the time to contribute the feature.

- Matt