Regarding NHS number.

Navin Tiwari

Mar 6, 2020, 5:19:29 AM3/6/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Everyone,
I have a some query regarding NHS number. I am able to create new patient using system credentials but i wanted to send NHS number in json for patient as I have reviewed the patient json but I didn't find any parameter to send the same.

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Mar 6, 2020, 9:10:42 AM3/6/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Navin,

I would assume that you are attempting this in our sandbox environment, correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption. Unfortunately our sandbox environment isn't set up to handle NHS numbers, however, for development purposes you can utilize social security numbers which will act similar to NHS numbers.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Navin Tiwari

Mar 9, 2020, 3:14:58 AM3/9/20
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I am using sandbox. I reviewed the patient json but i didn't found any parameter with name social security, can you provide me json structure for the patient in which I can send NHS number.

I have a small query currently I am fetching all entities using patient id. So, when I will create patient using NHS number can I retrieve all the details of patient by NHS number without using patient id?

Navin Tiwari
Software Developer | MoreYeahs | Tech

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Mar 9, 2020, 9:53:09 AM3/9/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

Yes, you will not receive the SSN back in the response when you perform a query, but you can perform a search by SSN which will return the patient that matches that SSN. For SSN, and NHS, you'll need to use identifier parameter to create a patient with an SSN.

In our sandbox, the structure of a SSN you'd use would look similar to below:

{

"use": "usual",

"type": {

"coding": [

{

"system": "http://hl7.org/fhir/v2/0203",

"code": "SS"

}

]

},

"system": "http://hl7.org/fhir/sid/us-ssn",

"value": "123456789",

"period": {

"start": "2019-04-29T21:01:51.000Z"

}
}

When performing a search, you'd use the "identifier" search parameter with http://hl7.org/fhir/sid/us-ssn as the system. Again, this is only within our sandbox and when you move to a client who has NHS numbers set up, the system and type for the identifier would change. You can read through the Patient Create documentation on fhir.cerner.com for DSTU2[1] and R4[2] for more information as well.