Meeting Reminder: This Wednesday, 9 June 2012, 19:00-22:00

Ethan

Jun 11, 2012, 2:02:29 PM6/11/12
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
The Central Ohio Reprap and MakerBot Operators User Group
is having its June meeting this Wednesday, from
19:00 to 22:00, at The Columbus Idea Foundry: 1160 Corrugated
Way, Columbus, OH 43201, near the 5th Avenue exit of I-71
(please note the change of address - it's easier to get to the
classroom through the glass-fronted door at 1160 than the metal
door that self-locks). This is the same building, but come to the
middle door.

Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month. To
get announcements and to discuss MakerBot issues of local
importance, please join our local google group at:

http://groups.google.com/group/central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators/

For those that missed the debut of the "Science on a Snow
Globe" spherical display, it will be returning for a second demo.
The display is made up of a laser pico-projector, a fisheye
lens, and a standard 8" glass lamp globe, all held together
at the proper angles and spacing by 3D printed parts made
on a MendelMax. The creator published the OpenSCAD code
to make the mounting brackets along with the source for
OpenGL companion software that convolves rectangular images
into the shapes needed to project on the inside of a sphere.
Data sets include climate data, air traffic data, live satellite
orbital data, and much more.

We'll also have a quick tour of the recently-acquired 3D Systems
Projet 1500 printer. The Idea Foundry now has SolidWorks 2011
Student Edition to facilitate designing new shapes for the ProJet
and for MakerBots and RepRaps.

For new business, we've been contacted by the Community
Organizer at MakerBot International about a new project - hot
on the heels of the Met Makerbot Hackathon, where enthusiasts
roamed The Met and scanned the art to share with all, they've
decided to organize a national activity, Capture Your Town, for
Makerbot User Group members to photograph and render their
own communities.

http://www.makerbot.com/community/capture-your-town/

I'd like to get discussions started to see who wants to be
involved with this and what sorts of tasks we can break
this down into to get maximum involvement and maximum
coverage. We have the chance to really put Columbus
on the digital map with this one.

The monthly meetings are free and open to all with an interest
in the technology regardless of prior experience. Bring your
enthusiasm down to the Columbus Idea Foundry, and if you
know someone who wants to learn more, bring them along, too.