Re: celeryd start command silently exits with no error

Ian Boardman

Oct 18, 2012, 3:22:18 PM10/18/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com
In my post, I meant to say /var/log/celery is not touched, but there is also is nothing under /var/run/celery. I checked that /var/log/celery and /var/run/celery are both writeable by celery.

James Reynolds

Oct 18, 2012, 5:06:56 PM10/18/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com
Try SUing to celery and manually starting celery, example if django:

python manage.py celeryd

I will be that user/group celery doesn't have access to files that are needed to run the app. In my case, in was various log / lock files in /var/log/(application)

Ian Boardman

Oct 18, 2012, 5:41:26 PM10/18/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com
James,
  I tried it and see no error related to permissions.  But thanks for the suggestion.
-- Ian

Matt Long

Oct 18, 2012, 9:05:35 PM10/18/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com
Does running "python manage.py celeryd" on the command line in the appropriate directory start up successfully? That'll help determine if the issue is isolated to your daemonization or not.

Aside from that, I'm comparing your init.d script to my own, and the main difference is that your --cmd parameter is:

-m celery.bin.celeryd_detach

while mine is:

/usr/bin/python /path/to/django/project/manage.py celeryd

I would try changing your --cmd to invoking celeryd via the manage.py script to see if that helps.

I would also try temporarily making it run as root rather than celery to rule out permission issues or not.

Hope that helps!

Matt Long
Cofounder and Lead Developer

Ian Boardman

Oct 19, 2012, 1:19:07 PM10/19/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  So I ran this as user celery with some of the usual options for the logs, and I got an unexpected error about SOUTH_DATABASE_ADAPTERS.  As I said, I had little knowledge of django, and had nothing to do with the installation I was trying to debug.  So hunting down the what, where and how down "South," I finally followed the directions and put in an explicit configuration in the django site settings, even though up to a week ago, celeryd started up completely fine w/o any such configuration.
  The error does not appear when one runs the startup from the script in /etc/init.d because the ultimate command execution (i.e. the one that I ran by hand, as Matt suggested, which exec's celeryd) occurs under a process which has had its stderr closed. Specifically, when manage.py imports the module south, __init__.py is run and hits the error on the missing configuration, but the error message disappears into /dev/null. You won't see the error when this command is being run after several intermediate calls in a detached (and muted) child off the parent shell.
  Thanks to all for helping.
--Ian